Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > 1st Lager Yeast Starter

Old 11-14-2012, 12:48 AM   #1
wdwalter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default 1st Lager Yeast Starter

First post here, I bypassed the intro page and went straight for the help! Hello to everyone and thanks for any replies! First attempt at a lager yeast starter raises a couple questions. All ale yeast starters I have made will produce a good amount of co2 when shaken. However, even after 24 hours the lager yeast will not foam even after a vigorous shake. I followed the same principles I used with the ale yeasts, 1/2 cup DME to 2 cups water, boiled 10 minutes and cooled to 70 before pitching. I am using White Labs San Francisco lager yeast. Every other starter I have made was with WYeast. Again, no problems with those.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:12 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6242 Times on 4448 Posts
Likes Given: 1686

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwalter View Post
First post here, I bypassed the intro page and went straight for the help! Hello to everyone and thanks for any replies! First attempt at a lager yeast starter raises a couple questions. All ale yeast starters I have made will produce a good amount of co2 when shaken. However, even after 24 hours the lager yeast will not foam even after a vigorous shake. I followed the same principles I used with the ale yeasts, 1/2 cup DME to 2 cups water, boiled 10 minutes and cooled to 70 before pitching. I am using White Labs San Francisco lager yeast. Every other starter I have made was with WYeast. Again, no problems with those.
It sounds ok to me. I haven't really noticed more or less co2 production in different yeast strains, but I have noticed that some don't even form much, if any, krausen.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 11-14-2012, 02:40 AM   #3
toadspit26
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This past weekend I made a Pils using White Labs SF Lager. I had the same experience with my starter, no krausen in the starter. Pitched into 1.061 wort and 24 hours later the brew was rocking. No concerns here.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:09 AM   #4
wdwalter
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Been about 24 hours now and the brew is fermenting just fine. Guess there was nothing to worry about!
cosmatics Likes This