Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kf4ocj

Reaction score
This will be kind of long but I want to give you guys all the info so you can give me some informed advice.I got a true brew all malt amber kit the other day and was in hurry to get started,I think the wort was a little too warm when I pitched the yeast.I took a hydrometer reading and it was 1.044,right inline with what the kit called for.As I said the wort was warm,when I checked it the next morning the temp was still at 78F,so I got to checking here on how to cool it down,made a swamp bath and got the temp down to around 68F.I had good airlock activity,then it slowed dramaticaly.I got up this morning an airlock activity was almost completly stopped.So after more reading I decided to take another hydrometer reading,it was right at 1.012,which is inline with the final gravity reading laid out in the brew kit instructions.When I took the hydrometer reading I noticed a ring about 3" about the brew indicating good fermentaion had been going on at one time,and there is still a layer about a 1/4" thick still on top of the brew.Its only been in the fermenter for 36 hours.Now the question is what should I do now.Again sorry about the long post but I wanted everyone to have all the info.

This answer will be short...

DWRHAHB

If you don't have any homebrew, drink some other beer. Sounds like your beer is doing well, congrats! Give it three weeks and reinspect, things should settle down and it should be ready for bottling/kegging. If there still is a layer of take a picture and report back :mug:

^this. You'll be fine. Just remember to do the swamp cooler from the get-go next time.

Thanks a lot for the encouraging info guys,a little early for homebrew here but a good cup of coffee will help.This is only my second batch of homebrew,the first batch didnt turn out very well,fermented at too hot tempature and has a bad fenol alcohol taste,now this.I know I can make a good home brew,just have to get the stars to line up,LOL.Next brew I am looking at doing is a double bock,thanks again guys and wish me luck

I haven't been brewing for very long (only four batches under my belt), but I can say with each subsequent batch the process becomes easier.

From a new brewer to another, best of luck on your double bock. Temp control is going to be even more crucial for a lager.

Sounds like your beer is fine. Leave it alone for another 4-7 days or so then take another gravity reading. Wait about 3 more days then take another reading and if you're stable go ahead and bottle.

Back