bottle it or wait it out - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > bottle it or wait it out
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2012, 12:23 AM   #1
surtur
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
prince george, british columbia
Posts: 37
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts



I have a Irish red ale fermenting had rapid fermentation first 12 hrs blew up all over the place but then died down to a stand still for the last 3 weeks in the last three weeks it went from 1.022 to 1.020
original was 1.052 can i bottle this without much worries and have a slightly less alcohol content or is there a chance it could still drop down to the recipe's goal of 1.012 approximately a 1% drop in alcohol. 4.2 instead of 5.2
this was my first all grain and my first BIAB. so i am sure i F'ed something up somewhere down the line.
i took a taste today and it seems ok a little bitter but not bad.
seems like it would be a good beer if i bottled it now.
Just do not want to have any explode on me.

now if i do bottle now would i still use the same amount of sugar for priming as i would have if it was at 1.012 or should i use less/ more?


p.s the beer is not 100% still it is still making small bubbles at the top of the beer almost like it wants to form a head but not quite. this is after3 weeks started this beer on Oct 8th

also i upped the room temp up to 18-20*C for the last week and a half to try and wake it up.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:32 AM   #2
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Knightdale, NC
Posts: 674
Liked 40 Times on 38 Posts


If you have any doubt, then rouse up the yeast, warm it up to about 72 degrees, and wait one more week. If it does not drop, then bottle. You would PROBABLY be OK bottling now, but I would wait one more week to be sure.


__________________
"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:04 AM   #3
RoKozak
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Posts: 62
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


I have heard that you can use a sanitized paddle to slowly stir and "wake up" the yeast. This would be after bringing up the temperature a bit...but not too much more than 70 degrees or so. Disclaimer: I have not tried this method myself.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:06 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 68,504
Liked 7364 Times on 5206 Posts


I've had plenty of extract beers stop at 1.020. It's just due to the fermentability of the extract. if the FG isn't changing, it's fine to bottle. don't stir it or anything like that- you'll risk oxidation and the beer isn't going any lower anyway.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:19 AM   #5
dkeller12
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Chapin, South Carolina
Posts: 368
Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts


I have had this happen and a gentle swirl of the fermenter and increasing the temperature slightly woke the yeast up and dropped my beer another 5 points. Maybe worth a try.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:25 AM   #6
estricklin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
estricklin's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Oppelo, Arkansas
Posts: 1,883
Liked 270 Times on 215 Posts


Chances are at this point it is what it is.

After bottling it, might be a good idea to sacrifice one every few days to make sure you don't get into in bottle bombs.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:38 AM   #7
Ogri
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Osaka, Japan
Posts: 830
Liked 76 Times on 71 Posts


Since it's your first AG/BIAB attempt it may have been that your mash temp was a bit on the low side and you ended up with more unfermentable sugars in your wort. This would lead to a higher FG. Would also make the beer sweeter, fuller bodied.

The bubbles you are seeing could also be just CO2 coming out of solution and rising to the surface due to the present elevated temperature.

Do another gravity test to see if you've come down any from 1.020 and, if no change, just bottle away.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:40 AM   #8
bleme
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Visalia, CA
Posts: 2,091
Liked 317 Times on 232 Posts


That's a tough call, but it MIGHT just be enough to convince your spouse that it is time to invest in a kegging system.

Now that I think about it, I kinda wish I had your problem....

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:02 AM   #9
whoaru99
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Posts: 1,748
Liked 139 Times on 116 Posts


My first batch stopped at 1.020 as well. First I waited, then I moved it slightly warmer, then I swirled the bucket, but all for naught; 1.020 was the final number.

Tastes OK, just a bit light in the loafers for %. If I want to get hammered on low drink volume I have liquor...
__________________
Drinking: American Amber Ale
Lagering: Dark Lager
Primary: Maibock

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:23 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 68,504
Liked 7364 Times on 5206 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogri View Post
Since it's your first AG/BIAB attempt it may have been that your mash temp was a bit on the low side and you ended up with more unfermentable sugars in your wort. This would lead to a higher FG. Would also make the beer sweeter, fuller bodied.
It's actually the reverse- higher temperature create more dextrins, and hence a higher ending FG. Lower temperatures favor a thinner, more fermentable wort.


__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

koryulle Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should I bottle or wait? PilotBeer General Beer Discussion 1 10-31-2011 12:34 AM
Red ale in the bottle, now I wait... Woodland Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 06-10-2011 01:43 AM
About to bottle.. maybe I should wait? MaxPower49 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 18 03-02-2009 02:50 AM
To Bottle, or Wait? Fenster General Beer Discussion 5 10-30-2008 05:02 AM
Should I bottle or wait? Rich the Brewer General Techniques 2 10-01-2007 08:52 PM


Forum Jump