Broken Siphon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kilju

Reaction score
So my siphon broke the other day, and I have some cider I'm gonna need to rack tomorrow. I've still got my racking cane, so I was wondering if attaching the plastic piece from the end of it to a clean, unused kerosene siphon would work. Anyone see any inherent problems in doing this?

I just attach my cane to some tubing and use a straw to start the suction. Just sanitize our hands, stick a straw in the end, pinch the tubing around the straw and suck, or use another small piece of tubing. Just so you don't get any mouth germs on the end. I had an auto syphon, and it was leaking by the second try, just kinda sucked IMHO.

Take 6' of 1/2ID tubing, stuff most of it in the carboy (letting it fill with cider), then take your thumb and cap the end air tight, then move below water line and let loose.

I've heard u can just fill the tube with boiled water then plug both ends. Put one in the full carboy high and the other in the empty carboy low and unplug.

i fill my hose with sanitizing solution - one end in the cider, one in a bowl or glass (lower than carboy it wont flow backward). release thumb, let flow until full with cider. its called priming

Thanks for all the good advice. I don't really have any tubing available, and I haven't been able to find any suitable around town. With this storm coming in, I might not be able to get out for a few days (Who knows?). I think I'm just gonna put off racking till tomorrow, and hope I can find something at Lowe's Hardware. If I can't get out tomorrow, then I'm just gonna be trying my franken-siphon. If it comes to that, I'll update as to how it went.

Back