Tike's First Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tike_1206

Reaction score
Have been considering home brewing for a little while now. I have read/ learned a good bit I believe, my brother in law has been brewing for a few years. I recently decided to try on my own and then LivingSocial just happened to have a great deal for Midwest Supplies. Included is everything I need to brew and a kit for Irish Stout. I am wondering if secondary fermentation would help out even though it is not called for in the instructions. Also the kit comes with a bucket for fermentation however my brother in law says a glass carboy is better which has me wondering if that is necessary. My kit shipped today so hopefully I will be brewing soon!

Secondary fermentation is not necessary and most of us only do it if we are adding fruit or something or for long term storage.
Some people say you can get more clarity by secondary fermentation but you certainly aren't worried about that with a stout :)
Glass carboy or 5 gallon better bottle for secondary, your bucket is fine for a primary. (I am assuming it is a 6-1/2 gallon brew bucket?)

Yes it 6.5. When looking into the carboys I took note of the better bottles and it appeared they were good. Are there advantages involving how the beer will come out with the better bottle over the bucket in my kit?

Back