Bottling Applewein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickjam

Reaction score
What is the typical vessel to store Applewein? I want to use wine bottles and corks, but don't know if I am only spelling disaster for myself. Brewing my first 5 gallons of the stuff right now. 2 days into it and surprised at how gentle the fermintation is, I should have filled my 6.5 gallon carboy up all the way!

Thanks,

NICK

I just bottled mine yesterday. Some went in Grolsch bottles, the rest in regular 12 oz bottles.

You will have problems corking if you plan on carbonating it unless you use champagne corks and cages.

- magno

nickjam said:
2 days into it and surprised at how gentle the fermintation is, I should have filled my 6.5 gallon carboy up all the way!
It's probably not too late! My first batch didn't stop fermenting for three weeks, I think I may have worn out the airlock...all that clanking around!

Just use beer bottling methods, and you're good to go. I just bottled my 2 gallon batch, I managed to fill three liter ez-cap bottles and a dozen SNPA bottles.

I was contemplating using wine bottles myself when I do my batch next month. I planned on doing 1/2 carbonated, 1/2 flat. Carbonated ones could go in beer bottles and the flat variety in wine bottles. My only reasoning for doing some of it flat was EdWort's mention of serving it hot in the winter time mixed with some other goodies. I can't picture drinking it hot and carbonated, doesn't sound pleasing to me. :confused:

I don't like stuff carbonated (I know I'm wierd) so I figured I would keep it flat in wine bottles so that will work right?

nickjam said:
I don't like stuff carbonated (I know I'm wierd) so I figured I would keep it flat in wine bottles so that will work right?

I wish I had the experience to say, but I'm not sure (and wanting to know) myself. I figure it'll be fine as long as you allow it time to fully ferment (don't want corks popping ;) ).

nickjam said:

Youre weird. :D

Yeah that should be fine.

I use the 1 liter plop top bottles like this. Makes life easier.

Apfelweinbottle.jpg

I've also bottled it in 22 ounce and 32 once bottles and capped them too.

Carbed or not, it really does not matter.

shunoshi said:
I wish I had the experience to say, but I'm not sure (and wanting to know) myself. I figure it'll be fine as long as you allow it time to fully ferment (don't want corks popping ;) ).

If you are going to bottle in wine bottles I think you'll need to degass your apfelwein first. I assume you don't have one. Go to your LHBS shop or look online at your fav internet supplier.

Its basically a rod with a swiveling wings that mix up the wine when its spun with a drill. I'm gonna guess you'll need to rack to a 2ndary or a tertiary to get away from the settling yeast before degassing. Also the act of syphoning does some degassing, but i not sure how effective it is though. You might post a Q on making a degasser in the DIY section and how its to be used.

FYI - I have never used one, I've just read about it somewhere.

I hope this is helpfull.

:mug:

I did not degas the meads that I have made, and they did not present problems in the bottle. Of course, they had been in secondaries for months before bottling.

I would say that if the airlock hasnt moved in a while, the CO2 is pretty much in equilibrium, and any racking that you do will take more CO2 out of solution. I dont think you will have a problem.

EdWort said:
I use the 1 liter plop top bottles like this. Makes life easier.

Apfelweinbottle.jpg

I've also bottled it in 22 ounce and 32 once bottles and capped them too.

Carbed or not, it really does not matter.

Where did you get the bottles?

Back