Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > New Danstar Belle Saison Dry Yeast?

Old 12-30-2012, 04:36 AM   #21
duckmanco
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I'm doing a hoppy table strength Saison with one of pack of this stuff tomorrow. The grain is somewhat based off NB's Petite Saison with Zythos hops for all additions to a total of about 25 IBU.

I'm thinking of rehydrating, using my pure o2 setup, and pitching at 65f and holding there for 1.5 days and then letting free rise to wherever it wants.

I'll definitely be reporting back with my findings as I haven't seen too many reports of how this stuff is. Then again, this will be my first ever brewed Saison, so we'll see.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:47 AM   #22
Chuckabrewski
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I pitched at 70f w/o rehydrating and have a very active air lock in just a few hours.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
-Frank Sinatra

Old 12-31-2012, 01:19 PM   #23
duckmanco
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I pitched one rehydrated pack into 63F (5.5 gal @ 1.045) wort and set the fridge to allow the beer to free rise to 67F at which I'll likely hold it there for 36 hours and then let it free rise to whenever it wants.

I saw activity this morning roughly 17 hours after pitching.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:28 AM   #24
Chuckabrewski
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Sample today had a lot of banana but not overwhelming.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
-Frank Sinatra

Old 01-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #25
samwhois
Recipes 

Just used Belle Saison in a witbier/saison hybrid. Was pleasantly surprised at the phenols and true saison flavors the yeast produced. Primary fermented in the upper 70s and got 85% attenuation. I brew a lot of saisons and am planning a true saison with the second pack of Belle Saison yeast I bought. I have used just about every saison strain and my favorite still is the White Labs Saison II and Wyeasts 3624 Belgian Saison, even if it does stall out at 1030. The key to a great saison is fermenting at warm temperatures which I think is hard for some home brewers. I have fermented in the 90s and had great results. Also using DAP yeast nutrient (diammonium phosphate) helps a lot. The reason is that saison yeasts are cousins to wine yeasts perform well with DAP and like warmer temps. Go to gonzobrewers.com "forum" section and see all my saison recipes. Happy saison brewing to all!!

Old 01-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #26
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 802 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckabrewski View Post
Sample today had a lot of banana but not overwhelming.
any spice?

banana flavor is typically caused by esters, which saisons aren't really known for. more typical are phenols which have a spicy taste.

Drinking: Tripel'ish, oud bruin, gueuz'ish thing, saison bottled with ECY34, imperial chocolate stout, dubbel
Carb'ing: local sour cherry kriek
Aging: TYB saison brett blend, Tripel'ish with brett, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, several other sours, acerglyn

Old 01-14-2013, 08:23 PM   #27
Chuckabrewski
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
any spice?

banana flavor is typically caused by esters, which saisons aren't really known for. more typical are phenols which have a spicy taste.
Yea I was very surprised by the banana. That was my hydrometer sample ill post more in about a week since I just kegged it.

-Frank Sinatra

Old 01-15-2013, 06:57 AM   #28
samwhois
Recipes 

Some of those banana flavors could be from getting a yeasty sample. I did not experience any banana flavors and I used about 50% wheat malt in my grist. I got the typical saison esters with a lot of fruitiness with dry finish.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #29
Chuckabrewski
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwhois View Post
Some of those banana flavors could be from getting a yeasty sample. I did not experience any banana flavors and I used about 50% wheat malt in my grist. I got the typical saison esters with a lot of fruitiness with dry finish.
Glad to hear that I will try again as soon as it's carbed up

-Frank Sinatra

Old 01-15-2013, 03:21 PM   #30
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 802 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwhois View Post
are you of the opinion that wheat in the grist affects banana flavors?

it's my understanding that banana comes from the yeast. the reason why wheat beers often have banana flavors is because of the hefeweizen yeast produces banana esters, not because of the wheat. you could brew a 100% barley beer using hefe yeast and still get bananas.

Drinking: Tripel'ish, oud bruin, gueuz'ish thing, saison bottled with ECY34, imperial chocolate stout, dubbel
Carb'ing: local sour cherry kriek
Aging: TYB saison brett blend, Tripel'ish with brett, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, several other sours, acerglyn