Off OG - Pumpkin Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottedk

Reaction score
So I just recently brewed the Thanksgiving (Pumpkin) Ale extract kit from MoreBeer. It didn't call for actual pumpkin (only pumpkin pie spice) but I decided to add some anyway.

I put all of my information into BeerSmith and the OG was supposed to be around 1.058 or so (I added in a bit of extra DME that I had left over from a previous batch as well). It was impossible to add Pumpkin into BeerSmith so I knew it would add in a bit of fermentable sugar but I didn't think it would be that much.

I finished the boil, cooled the wort, and topped off to about 5.5 gallons. I took the OG reading and it came out to 1.08!!! I didn't strain the wort so all of hops, pumpkin, etc... were included when I measured (my hydrometer flask was very cloudy with these particles).

I was wondering if the density of my wort could be higher simply because the pumpkin and hop particles were present and the 1.08 isn't the actual gravity based on sugar content?

It's not a huge problem either way, it was just something I was wondering.

I'm not sure, but I'd say having a bunch of pumpkin in there would change the density.

But if you go into Beersmith and look at the bar across the top you should have a button that says:"insert". I'm looking at it on a mac and it's on the task bar between "view" and "profile"

Back