Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Can't get good late hopping/dry hopping results

Old 09-10-2012, 01:19 AM   #1
EndlessWinter77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Can't get good late hopping/dry hopping results

I've had a lot of trouble getting good late hopping and dry hopping results... No matter what I do I can't seem to get a good hop aroma. Ive recently brewed two beers that I would think should be very aroma forward but lack very much thereof:

ISA: 10 gal, 5.5%, mostly 2-row and wheat. after bittering... 3oz @20m, 3oz@5m 3oz@0m 3oz dry (split evenly at each addition between centannial, summit, and cascade)

IIPA: 5 gal, 9.5% after bittering... 5.5oz within 15m, and 3.5 oz dry (distributed between simcoe, columbus, centennial, and amarillo)

I use whole dry hops for wet and dry. I stir the dry hops into 2ndary and then let sit for 1-2 wks. The hops are purchased from reputable HBS (assuming good quality). Despite this, there is extremely little aroma when I tap the keg.

Is there something im missing? Do i need to stir more often? How do professional brewers (Green Flash, 10 barrel, and Russian River come to mind) achieve such good results? For the IIPA I used twice as much hops as a similar Green Flash IPA clone recipe.. yet no aroma...

Old 09-10-2012, 01:26 AM   #2
deepcdan99
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I wouldn't say you are doing anything wrong. However, I have never stirred mine. I throw them in on top, let them sit for a week or two, then keg. Have always had great resuts.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:25 AM   #3
ShinyBuddha
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

your water profile can make a big difference. try some gypsum in your mash water to bring out the hop character.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:46 AM   #4
Bisco_Ben
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Try a 30 minute hop "aroma steep" if you aren't already. Doing this really gave me that aroma/flavor/mouthfeel i had been lacking.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:01 AM   #5
EndlessWinter77
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisco_Ben View Post
Try a 30 minute hop "aroma steep" if you aren't already. Doing this really gave me that aroma/flavor/mouthfeel i had been lacking.
Thanks, I will try that for sure. Anything for that aroma i can't seem to get..

Old 09-10-2012, 03:03 AM   #6
EndlessWinter77
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyBuddha View Post
your water profile can make a big difference. try some gypsum in your mash water to bring out the hop character.
cool, I will look into that for sure. Although, some of the professional brewers I have spoken to here in Portland say that gypsum is not necessary with our water profile

Old 09-10-2012, 03:13 AM   #7
ICWiener
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I used to have the same problem. I don't know how your technique is, but I was always dry hopping too early. If there's any activity in your beer, it will flush that aroma right out with the CO2. I wait until primary is waaaaay done, try to tease out every gravity point that I can...then I wait another week. Then I rack to secondary and dry hop. That should help preserve some of that aroma for you.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:18 AM   #8
Brewham
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

My dry hop experience has been "iffy." If I just throw them in, they clog up the valve and tube when I bottle. I put them in a muslin bag to stop that. But, either way and even if I boil the bag, I end up with a filmy white skin on the top that looks like an infection. I'm not convinced dry hops are all that sterile. What say you?

Old 09-10-2012, 06:25 AM   #9
basilchef
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Use pellets. Its done wonders for me.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:04 AM   #10
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 79

What's your kegging procedure? Do you speed carb and/or vent the keg at any point? I've ruined some glorious hop aroma by overcarbing kegs and venting them.