Hop Drying Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roth012

Reaction score
Just harvested the majority of my first-year cascade crop yesterday morning. They've been on window screens with fans blowing since. I'm going out of town tomorrow morning for a couple days and was wondering if there would be any negative affects from leaving them on drying racks until I get back. My plan was to seal them before I left, but they haven't dried out completely yet. What's the longest period of time you guys leave your hops out before sealing?

My window-screen-with-box-fan drying rig usually takes 3 days but occasionally 4 to get the moisture content below 20%, just depends on the prevailing humidity.

If you're going to be away I'd shut off the fan and just let the cones dry on their own. If you let them get too dry they start to come apart and bouncing in front of the fan would likely knock some of the good stuff out of the petals...

Cheers!

Mine usually dry out in 2-3 days. Sealing on the 3rd day for sure. I might also live in a much drier climate than you. When the scales open and you can really feel the stem inside with some crunching/spring-back, they're ready.

Latest posts

Back