small temperature fluctuations / short turnaround time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zachj9292

Reaction score
I pitched safale us 05 into my irish red which was at 70. It cooled down to 64 degrees in my fermentation room (a bathroom i don't use). I used the wet towel method to get it pretty cool but I didn't keep it wet so the beer warmed back up to 68.

Are these changes big enough to give me something estery or whatever?
I hate that wine thang.

It is 8 days old and started at 1.052. It needs to be finished for a wedding in 6 days. I hope its not to green tasting. wish me luck

also, any tips on the short turnaround time for my particular situation?

thanks

and i do want to do a cold crash for one day before kegging, so it has to be ready in 5 days

I think you may have started this brew too late to have it ready in a total of 13-14 days (from start to finish)? Also, if your room temp is at 68°F then your beer is probably 5° (or so) warmer. I think you will still have a somewhat clean tasting ale with your temps, but I would say that you need more time to carb and let the beer condition before it loses the "green" taste.
What method are you going to use to carbonate the beer in the keg?

Is the beer 68* or is the ambient temp 68*? If it's the beer, you may be fine, US-05 isn't too big of an ester bomb.

Did you ever take another gravity reading? That'll tell you if you're on your way to being "done", plus, you can do a small tasting.

Was 13 days too short of a time to do this beer? Probably. Can it work? Yep.

The temp of the beer is 68 (or atleast that what the magnet thermometer thing says on my fermenter.) I am carbonating by doing the 30psi-shake like hell-and wait a day method. Thats what i always do because i am too impatient anyways.

I am going to take another gravity reading tommorrow.

How should I go about serving? I have always had the keg in the fridge and on about 10psi at all times. How do you guys serve at events?

I serve in many ways, depending on my mood.

Sometimes I bring my entire kegerator. Sometimes I use a portable CO2 shot thing and a picnic tap. Other times I use the CO2 tank and regulator out of my kegerator with a picnic tap. PSI depends on the line length and ID.

Just served two 5gal corneys at a reunion. We just put the kegs in a cooler filled with ice, it covered up to a little over half of the kegs. I used picnic taps and a 5lb co2 tank. Worked pretty well and everyone knows how to use a picnic tap. Good luck, hope it turns out.

I guess Im going to serve it with the c02 tank on 10 psi. This will be after being on 30 psi for atleast 24 hours. But there is still some very minor krausen bubbles on the top of the beer so i didn't worry about taking a gravity reading just yet. Im kinda stressin. It's tuesday night and i have until saturday night.

Im going to move it out of the basement bathroom and into the basement hallway which is dark and just a few degrees warmer.

Any objections?

Im going to move it out of the basement bathroom and into the basement hallway which is dark and just a few degrees warmer.

Any objections?

US-05 is pretty forgiving as far as warmer temps go, and 8 days into the fermentation you shouldn't have anything to worry about. I say go for it.

US-05 is pretty forgiving as far as warmer temps go, and 8 days into the fermentation you shouldn't have anything to worry about. I say go for it.

I'd say this is a bit of an understatement, if my first AG batch is any testament. Mine got up to 78 for the first 2 days of fermentation. Started at 1.06, ended at 1.012, and tastes faaaaantastic.

But like one other poster mentioned... I don't think 2 weeks is enough time for it to peak. Let us know how it goes.

I will. The dude who i am giving it to (the groom) says hes a sam adams drinker and loves all their beers so i don't think he'll notice :). Just kidding.

But anyways I am going to move it to the warmer hallway tonite and take the gravity reading tommorow. Hope to god its down to 1012 or 1010 and put it in the fridge for a cold chill.

Its at 1018. I am moving it up to a place where its 75. Do you think I could get at least a few points in one day? But that does mean that it will only be cold for one day (from friday night 5pm to saturday night). The place where the reception is at does have a freezer. I could put it in their for a little bit before the walk in fridge or on ice

anybody got their keg real cold real fast in a walk in freezer before? how long it take?

That was the only reading i took. But it finished at 1014. I may have read the 1018 reading wrong. But I can tell it wasn't done, it makes my stomach hurt after drinking one. I guess that is the yeast still suspended in the beer?

Too late now...

It actually turned out drinkable and was gone pretty quick. Okay on the stomachs and didn't taste bad.

at least it turned out and was floated when it was all said and done. next time, plan ahead! haha. Glad it worked out.

Back