Bottle Bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fermenter

Reaction score
HI,

I wanted to run this by you all...

I just accidently pitched 1 gram of http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/red-star-montrachet.html

Into my Imperial stout sitting at 1.026 FG + 3oz priming sugar.

I was supposed to use Safale US-05 Ale Yeast, but mixed them up.

So will this wine yeast eat more sugars then they are supposed to and blow up all my bottles? Gosh I hope not.

Any thoughts?

If the fermentation was complete before you bottled it, the yeast you added should ONLY eat the sugar you added at bottling time. There should be NO fermentable sugars left in the beer.

Many folks add champagne yeast at bottling time for high grav beers, so the type of yeast really shouldn't matter.

If the fermentation was complete before you bottled it, the yeast you added should ONLY eat the sugar you added at bottling time. There should be NO fermentable sugars left in the beer.

Many folks add champagne yeast at bottling time for high grav beers, so the type of yeast really shouldn't matter.

Just a question for my curiosity. Since Montrachet is a wine/champagne yeast, would it not impart some kind of dryness to the beer? Even if there are no fermentable sugars left, the yeast itself does have a fairly distinct aromatic profile. Again, this is just for my curiosity. I've dealt with montrachet while making ciders, and I've always noticed it's smell even before fermentation took place.

I think the dryness from that yeast comes from it getting the beverage to a much lower FG, thus making it dry - yeah I was going to use that yeast for Apfelwein cider.

Thanks for the info; the beer should have been at FG. It was primary for a month + 3 months of secondary; gravity stayed the same from primary all the way to bottling.

THANKS!

Thanks for the info; the beer should have been at FG. It was primary for a month + 3 months of secondary; gravity stayed the same from primary all the way to bottling.

What is your FG? Just because one yeast poops out at a certain FG doesn't mean that a stronger strain won't take the FG lower.

If that happens in the bottles...

Just a question for my curiosity. Since Montrachet is a wine/champagne yeast, would it not impart some kind of dryness to the beer? Even if there are no fermentable sugars left, the yeast itself does have a fairly distinct aromatic profile.
dryness is the lack of sugars. a dry beer or dry wine is one with a low FG, since low FG = few sugars left.

adding a champagne yeast to a brew that has no fermentables left will not dry it out, since the new yeast will have no effect - they'll have nothing to eat and will just go dormant after some time.

it is also worth noting that champagne yeast can only digest simple sugars like sucrose. they can't digest maltose. SO, if for some reason the original yeast didn't digest all the simple sugars (unlikely, since those are typically eaten up first) then yes, the addition of champagne yeast would make the brew drier. but unless the original yeast was grossly underpitched, this is unlikely to happen.

HI again - my FG was 1.026 - this is close to what Beersmith said it was going to finish at.

Thanks all for the responces - and I did not know that champagne yeast do not eat maltose - that fact alone should make this senario not produce bombs.

Back