Euacalyptus leaves in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gab1788

Reaction score
WHen ever I start my boil I inevitably have eucalyptus (gum trees) leave on the bottom of my BK. The combination of the leaves burning and the malt is incredible. I get a great mix of the eucalyptus and the steam from the boiling wort and it seems like it would taste great in the beer. Anyone know of any ways to get this into the beer. I know the euacal smell is from the oils in the leaves burning off. Could I add some to the mash (obviously pre boil so contamination wouldn't be an issue) or would most of the oils get left on top o the mash? Or would I need to make a tea of some sort. I don't really know, just seeing if anyone has any experience, opinions or what ever on this.

Gab.

Whats the safety of eucalyptus for eating? I believe it's in cough drops and such... But just do some reading on toxicity first. It sounds interesting.

Thanks for the reply. They are not toxic, they are very low in proteins and al most indigestible as leaves. The part that I want I the oil from them, just wondering what the best way to get it in beer would be. It is used in cough drops to clear your sinuses. Same as mint or fishermans friends are.

Im confused? how did it then taste when it was int the kettle the first time? and it would seam it was added then?

But anyway?,............ essential oils would be your safer bet, and you can exactly control the amount, but watch out the stuff is "strong". I can easaly see it take over ANY taste

Tincture them maybe, I breifly looked it up a while ago. The method might be worth looking into.

DannyD it wasn't in the kettle, it's just leaves that get stuck to the bottom of the kettle ( so many eucalypts around here aus) that then burn an the combo of them an the malt smell great. I was just wondering how I could use the leaves to get that flavour in the beer.

OOooo... Like ON the bottom not IN the bottom!! still think one drop of essential oil in the boil maybe?

I may be wrong, but it seems to me you may just be able to treat them like hops. Maybe crush up a little bit and throw it in the boil at maybe 15 or 20 minutes? I'd probably do a small test batch first before doing a full 5 gallons.

nukebrewer said:
I may be wrong, but it seems to me you may just be able to treat them like hops. Maybe crush up a little bit and throw it in the boil at maybe 15 or 20 minutes? I'd probably do a small test batch first before doing a full 5 gallons.

I like this idea. I'd like to hear how it turns out either way you do it.

This is probably the best idea. I imagine you need quite a bit of eucalyptus so an extraction seems like your best bet.

I would say start with one or so leaves first (when last did you crush a eucalypyus leave in you'er hands? very overpowering aroma) Early in the boil and test form time to time

Back