Beer Mimics Food: Recipe ideas please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curry767

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Down here in Sydney, Australia we are about to have a homebrew competition for the Sydney Craft Beer Week. The competition is to brew a beer that mimics food.

So I'm after ideas. Obviously chocolate is the easy one, but I'm trying to get something a little more complex.

Due to timing issues I am only going to get one shot at this, so no tweaking.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Dave

Nice.

- Pumpkin Ale to taste exactly like pumpkin pie (use of actual graham crackers and a bit of vanilla really helps)
- Oyster Stout or Porter (get whole oysters and toss them in the boil, shucked or not. They are fantastic, especially if you shoot for an English stout or porter)

I thought I had more as I started to type this but apparently I'm out of ideas at the immediate moment. But I'll put some more thought into it.

However, beer is amazing in that you can put whatever you want in it. Just recently kicked a keg of a witbier brewed with ginger root, Indian coriander, and lemongrass.

Try to think of your favorite dish/food/non-beer-drink/etc and ponder if those ingredients can be used in beer. If you come up with something or have any questions, don't hesitate to ask for advice or feedback. Good luck! :mug:

Some food inspired brews I've done:

Oatmeal Craisin Cookie Stout
Banana Fosters Hefe
Sweet Potato Casserole Ale
Fruit Cake Wee Heavy

I imagine the entries will be flooded with beers where people add various fruit & flavorings, to the point of being overwhelming.

If it were me, I'd keep it simple...let the grain & yeast do the talking. Maybe a banana bread beer...hefe strain warm, wheat, munich & melanoidin malts

EDIT: Also had another crazy thought; blueberry pancake beer. Let it finish dry, rack onto blueberries, sulfate/filter yeast & backsweeten with maple. I don't know, could be nasty.

Thanks for all the input guys, it is really much appreciated.

I do like the idea of keeping it simple as I will only get one shot at this.

On the complex side, I was think of going something spicy and Asian, maybe like a Tom Yum Pale Ale... Galangal, chillies, Kaffir Lime leaves and Lemongrass... Maybe even some toasted coconut.

Keep the ideas coming, I'm 2 weeks out from brew day. So I have a week to lock the recipe down.

Back