Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beer is Frothing out the top!

Old 07-13-2007, 11:36 PM   #1
nickjam
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beer is Frothing out the top!

I am brewing an Imperial IPA right now (14 pounds of LME in this beer). Fermintation is active, very active! In fact the beer is frothing out the top into the airlock. I now know I should buy a blowoff tube to deal with this, but for now is it ok to just change the airlock out every 10 hours or so? I use vodka in the airlock so it is no biggy if some gets into the beer and I figure it will kill anything bad on contact. The froth is remaining in the airlock except for my intial blow out which I didn't notice until it was running down the side of the carboy.

Am I thinking right or should I dive the 40 miles to my local home brew shop and buy the blow off tube and piece today?

Thanks!

Old 07-13-2007, 11:41 PM   #2
anthrobe

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You can do that as long as the pressure does not blow the stopper out of the carboy/bucket. Next time use a blow off tube. I pretty much use them religiously on the primary.

Secondary1 -
Secondary2 -
On Tap
Tap1 - Kelly's Rasberry Cream Ale 7/11/07
Tap2 - Black Stap Porter (8/25/07)
Tap3 - Hefeweizen 7/05/07
Waiting for tap\Conditioning
Keg1 -
Keg2 -
Keg3 -
Bottles
-
-

---------------------------------------------------

Old 07-13-2007, 11:42 PM   #3
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Keep clearing the air lock. Everything will be fine. I would get a blow off tube for your next batch though.

Old 07-14-2007, 05:41 AM   #4
beerninja
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I had the same problem with my 1st batch. and i just left it on there and the fome fell backinto the beer and i left the beer that got up in the airlock there and my brew turned out ok. im using a blow off tube now that i know what happens.

BEERNINJA!

Old 07-14-2007, 05:48 AM   #5
WOP31

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

just let'er roll man. worry about the blow off on the next one. that is going to be huge let us know how it turns out.

Cheers

Old 07-14-2007, 05:28 PM   #6
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjam
Am I thinking right or should I dive the 40 miles to my local home brew shop and buy the blow off tube and piece today?

Homebrew shop for a blow off tube? Don't you have a hardware store handy? Just get some vinyl tubing. That's all you really need.