Temp Probe Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KES

Reaction score
Got question about extending the length of the probe wiring on a temp probe. Will it effect the reading from the probe if I do this? Appreciate any input from those that have done this.

Should have included that info. A TC-9102D-HV Temp controller with a PTC sensor with a 36" length. I am thinking of at least doubling that length. I want to mount the unit to the wall next to my 20cf upright freezer and run the sensor to the front of the freezer and under the door seal.

The answer is no as long as the connections are solid. The sensor outputs a voltage that represents temperature and whatever you are measuring with should have high enough impedance to not draw much current.

Emailed support:
Yes you can extend the (sensor) wire up to 100(feet) before starting to lose calibration. The
units have plus and minus 30 degrees of calibration to compensate for longer sensor
lead lengths. Any 18 to 26 gauge wire is fine.

Hi

The distance you can go will be impacted by the gauge of the wire. Bigger wire (lower numbers) = longer run. Systems that do really long runs go to four wire setups to eliminate pretty much eliminate the issue.

Simple answer - not a problem unless you have a brewery big enough to be competition for Anheuser Bush. If you do, can I come over and live at your house?:mug:

Bob

Back