Yeast Starter Improv

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cavemann310

Reaction score
Don't know if anyone has done this yet or posted about it before but I decided to instead of purchase a flask or any starter kits or anything, i was going to make my own. This is my second time using it and it works perfectly using a 24oz mason jar and a glove

DSCF1597.jpg

DSCF1595.jpg

mason jar, glove sanitized and the wrist part of the glove slid all the way over and down to the "neck" part of the jar and then feed the glove through the collar for the lid and tighten it all the way down. Poke 2 or 3 holes is the middle 3 fingers after it puffs up and there you go, like prison hooch except thats more a milk jug and balloon thing...i guess if you need a bigger starter you could use two jars or just a milk jug with a balloon on top, i dont feel like spending $20 on a flask, i suppose i could search craigslist or elsewhere for cheaper but in the mean time this does the trick for me

Ah the old "erk & jerk" as they called it in college haha ill have to get one of those 1 gallon jugs full of wine or something that way if i pay for it I at least get to drink it :)

I just use foil, as well. I'm sure it's fun to watch the glove inflate, but you just can't get easier than foil! Plus, the glove idea leaves me thinking you might have issues with sanitation. Not that you can't clean and sanitize the glove, but it seems like more work than needed. Unless you're using a new glove each time. Then (for me) it would be a cost effectiveness issue... Just my humble opinions. Do what works well for you! :mug:

Get rid of the glove and just put the top on loosely. You want air transfer when making a starter. Extra oxygen for the yeast means greater new cell production.

Yeah I've got a few boxes of them from my old job and I just put them in the Sanitizer bucket and make sure they fill up once or twice, very available to me.

Putting the lid on loosely is another good one now that I think about it, enough room for the lid just to break the seal and release gasses. Got it.

Get rid of the glove and just put the top on loosely. You want air transfer when making a starter. Extra oxygen for the yeast means greater new cell production.

Thanks for posting that, I didn't wanna be the party pooper here, but the OP's idea pretty much defeats the purpose of making a starter.

OP, top your starters with sanitized foil or a foam stopper. The yeast need to breath at this point.

They do breath you poke holes in the finger tips with a pin or nail so it slowly releases gas but I do like the loose lid idea

Thanks for posting that, I didn't wanna be the party pooper here, but the OP's idea pretty much defeats the purpose of making a starter.

OP, top your starters with sanitized foil or a foam stopper. The yeast need to breath at this point.

I wasn't even thinking about this, but it's very true. That glove won't let enough oxygen in even with a few holes. Once it builds up pressure it will only off-gas the co2 and won't allow oxygen to get in!

Back