Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Insane OG. I guess this is sort of what I asked for.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:25 AM   #1
adamjackson
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Default Insane OG. I guess this is sort of what I asked for.

3 pounds of crushed grain steeped at 155 for 30
9 pounds of various DMEs 60 minute boil
1 Tub of dark LME added at 15 minute mark

hop additions at
60 Minute
30 minute
10 minute
5 minute
2 minute

5 types of hops and will be dry hopping with Citra and another.

I just finished racking this and it's 2AM so I'm VERY tired. Took a reading of the Wort AFTER adding in the water. 5 gAllons total. I aerated and then took a reading. At 73 Degrees F, the Hydrometer read 1.101...my highest brewed beer has been 1.084 so this was a HUGE jump for me.

I then pitched it with two packs of dry yeast (as suggested by my LHBS given the insane amount of extract used)

I asked for a HIGH ABV IPA and he said I might get some sort of Barleywine out of this.

Anyway, at 1.101 and two packs of yeast, I think I'm fine but that OG is just way above what I was expecting. I'm fine, right?

According to Dave's ABV Calculator, I have a maximum ABV of 13.3% at that reading. I just feel like maybe I did something wrong. Not sure.

----------
EDIT: Adding actual ingredients after digging through my trash. I really should start taking better notes.

3 pounds of crushed grain but I can't remember what the LHBS actually put in the bag. It was a few different things.

At Boil
Bries Pilsen Light (6lbs)
Muntons Hopped Light (3 lbs)

45 minutes into boil, added 3.3 pounds of Briess Munich LME

Hops:
centennial 8.9% at 60 minutes
columbus 30 minutes
styrian golding 1 oz 10 minute 4.5%
styrian golding 1 oz 5 minute 4.5%
Citra 1 oz at 2 minute mark

pitched with safale US-05 (2 11.5 gram bags)

Untappd Profile

Old 06-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
adamjackson
Recipes 

I spoke to some friends about this and it looks like we're fine. The calculator I was using was assuming an FG of 1.000 which is impossible so I won't get anywhere near 13%...maybe somewhere around 10%.

It was also a concern that I didn't pitch enough yeast but I pitched two bags and an online pitching calculator said 1.6 bags should be good so I think we're alright. No idea how long this will take to complete. Guaranteed I'm going to need a blow-off tube once Krausen starts working.

Untappd Profile

Old 06-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
Dr1nkBeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Yeast isn't the issue... Barley wines tend to need some time to age a bit before they are ready to serve. You keging or bottling? I would bottle some and age it.
My All Grain Setup https://picasaweb.google.com/antonio...eat=directlink

Old 06-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
adamjackson
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr1nkBeer View Post
Yeast isn't the issue... Barley wines tend to need some time to age a bit before they are ready to serve. You keging or bottling? I would bottle some and age it.
Thanks but, looking at the recipe, did I brew a barley wine? If so, I would imagine fermentation won't take THAT long. Plan was 2-3 weeks in 1st Carboy and then I was debating (although I know not all that necessary) transferring to a secondary and storing in the cellar to improve the clarity of it and balance things out a bit for another 2 weeks. Dry hop on the last week or so of 2nd fermentation and then keg.

I have four full kegs right now on tap so, I'd just store this one until one of those finally became empty..so just force carb and stick it in the cellar in the keg until one of my current beers runs out.

Still not sure if this is the right approach.
Untappd Profile

Old 06-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
slarkin712
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 6

It doesn't really matter what style you just brewed. High ABV beers tend to require aging to improve flavor and other qualities. The harshness of the alcohol is lessened and the flavors in general smooth out. I'd give it a couple of months in the secondary.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 550 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Let your tongue be the guide. If it tastes good and you want to drink it, then do. But definitely save some for aging so you can see how it changes over time - that way you'll know what age you like the best for next time.
People Like This 
Old 06-21-2012, 05:43 PM   #7
adamjackson
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Let your tongue be the guide. If it tastes good and you want to drink it, then do. But definitely save some for aging so you can see how it changes over time - that way you'll know what age you like the best for next time.
Roger there. You're always helpful, Ty. I'll see how it goes and maybe post an update here in a few weeks with FG and some of the steps I took. This will still be a big beer so hoping things turn out alright.
Untappd Profile

Old 06-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #8
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 550 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Cool, always glad to help! How much Citra in the dry hop, and what will you be pairing it with?

Old 06-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #9
duckmanco
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Kitchen sink beers can turn out amazing, however that one sounds like it could be a huge FG cloying mess as all that extract likely won't attenuate all that well. But as a previous poster said, if you like very malty and hoppy beers, you should be in luck.

Hope it turns out how you want. Keep us posted.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:02 PM   #10
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 435 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjackson View Post
I spoke to some friends about this and it looks like we're fine. The calculator I was using was assuming an FG of 1.000 which is impossible so I won't get anywhere near 13%...maybe somewhere around 10%.
For what it's worth, I had a 1.01 OG on an IIPA and it ended up at 12.1% ABV with an FG of 1.010.

However given your recipe I would anticipate more like 1.020 FG putting it into barleywine territory rather than IIPA.