Which Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirk7728

Reaction score
Next year I plan to try my hand at growing hops. I know there are 40+ variety of hops, but if I was to get it down to 4 or 5, which hops would you recommend I grow? I live in Alberta, Canada with a little cooler and shorter growing season, and by the looks of things, a green house may be out of the question lol

Grow what you like! So start with a list of your favorite hops, then winnow that down to the favorite five strains that will grow well in your area. You'll need to do some research on the latter aspect...

Cheers!

read through the sticky about hops varieties/comparison. from there pick the ones that do well in cooler climate. then to further narrow it down ud probably pick a variety thet is early-mid season harvest, probably wanna stay away from late harvest varieties. Only rescource i know of that has a list of harvest schedule is the homebrewers garden(good book) Other than that I'd just say rdwhahb pick a kind u like and give it a whirl.

Imho I would consider cascade as a great choice. Living in Quebec, which would have a similar weather to Alberta and cascade seems to grow the best and is the most hardy. I also have Mt hood, Northern brewer, fuggle, galena and magnum. I have also found that the organic rhizomes perform the worst. They seem to be always struggling (though I can't say why). Hope this helps.

What part of Alberta are you in? If by Calgary check out yeastwranglers.ca. That is our local club and members would be happy to say what they are growing. I am in the mountains and trying my hand at cascade and centennial this year. So far they are still alive :)

Back