Scotch Ale with Wyeast London III?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DFP51

Reaction score
I have a Bitter finishing up in a week or so with Wyeast 1318, and am thinking about what to do with the yeast. Any thoughts on using it for Scotch 80?

Thanks.

It would make a fine 80/- though I would suggest fermenting it on the lower end to keep some of the esters down (62-64F). I've made a few low grav scottish beers with this yeast (I use it A LOT for most everything) and it turns out very nice. Also, a tad higher than normal aeration and yeast pitch will help keep it on the cleaner side too.

Thanks. I really enjoyed it in the first bitter I did this spring, and am trying it with what I believe is your regimen (started it at 62 and let it come up to 68 then held it there) on this batch. Will wash it up and then dump it in a Scotch at 60 or so and see how it goes.

I agree that it should work well for a Scottish but it's best to start really low to avoid esters. Scottish usually have a clean profile. But I'd warm it towards the end to get better attenuation and to clean up any diacytle made earlier in the ferment

Back