Bottling my fruity flanders with Lalvin 71B-1122

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cptnthompson

Reaction score
Hey guys, I brewed a sour flanders red last may. In January I racked it onto a lot of cherries and raspberries. After tasting it last month, I've decided that I'm ready to bottle it. The yeast in the beer hasn't been active for quite some time. Someone in my homebrew club suggested that I bottle with the Lalvin 71B-1122. It's a wine yeast,but the guy who suggested it said it should work beautifully and leave a slight sweet to go with the sour and add to the cherry taste.

Anyone have any ideas about this? Anyone ever bottled using 71B-1122?

I've used a few different wine strains to bottle, but not 71B. Of the ones I've used, I've not noticed any difference in flavor between them. I'd recommend a well-behaved yeast, like Prise de Mousse (EC-1118 or Premier Cuvee). Some of them (like Cote Des Blanc) like to leave kraeusen rings around the neck of the bottles.

I'd recommend using two properly rehydrated packs (10g) per 5 gallon.

zombie alert... i was doing some research on 71-B and came across this:

I'd recommend using two properly rehydrated packs (10g) per 5 gallon.
2 packs for priming is way too much. a quarter to a third of a pack is plenty, maybe half if you're really feel the need to be generous. you only need to add enough to consume the priming sugar, which isn't much.

Back