Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Infamous airlock full of foam...

Old 05-14-2012, 12:07 AM   #1
Blackmuse
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Infamous airlock full of foam...

So it finally happened to me and I remained relatively calm but you see the lid was arched pretty high (7.5 gal plastic fermenter) and I felt I needed to releve pressure SOON... Here's what I did:

Lifted lid just a tad to let some pressure off.... Got myself a new airlock ready. Pulled the old one out and covered hole with syranwrap... went to clean the bung and when I came back there was a huge ball of foam coming out of the hole!!!

I quickly realized the new airlock was useless so I set up a hasty blow off tube! Rigged it up as quick as possible but the whole time that hole kept spewing foam (like a small fist size ball of it)...

So my question is: WILL IT BE OKAY?

I mean there was nearly 3-5 minutes of open hole (minus the foam coming out) and the bung was only sanitized with hot water due to time constraints...

It's all set up with a blow-off tube now.

Now I know: RDWHAHB and I think I will if someone can just say "don't worry you'll be fine" lol

What do you all think?

I'll post some pics once I find my card reader...

Old 05-14-2012, 12:11 AM   #2
LimerickBrewCo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I wouldn't worry. The CO2 pushing that foam out was keeping anything else that could be bad out too.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:12 AM   #3
Newbeerguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Don't worry, you'll be fine.

With all that CO2 pushing the foam out of the hole, not much of a chance for anything to get it.

I actually just had the same thing happen to me last week. I'll post a pic up of the mess too

Reason: Added Pic

Old 05-14-2012, 01:02 AM   #4
Blackmuse
Recipes 

Thanks guys! I can't find my card so I can't post any pics but the blowoff tube seems to be working okay and the lid is actually letting a little escape too I think... Here's to hoping nothing gets in or clogged! Off to bed!

You should see the yeast cake forming though! Seriously it is 1 1/2 to 2 inches think! I'll be dumbing another brew on top of that one as soon as I bottle this thing! It's a Brown porter and the yeast is German ale yeast pitched from a 1600 L starter at just past high Krausen.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:02 AM   #5
Blackmuse
Recipes 

Mine wasn't quite as mess as that Newbeerguy! lol Good stuff!