Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > OG and Volume Question

Old 05-12-2012, 03:11 AM   #1
zlwags85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default OG and Volume Question

Alright - seen / read as many threads on OG and volume that I could find but have a quick question. I have a refractometer and when I put distilled water on it...reads a perfect 0. So assuming it's calibrated correctly.

I've done 2 kit's in the last week (getting beer ready for a 3-tap Keezer that I just finished). This makes 3 batches total I've done. So I've read countless posts to focus more on OG than volume. Good beer over quantity.. makes sense and agree. So that's what I did. I hit both batches dead on w/ the refractometer readings doing full boils and making sure it's well mixed the entire time but when I fill up the carboy, both batches were somewhere right around 6 gallons.

Can't find a post that explains this really. There does seem to be a layer of "trub" that is a couple inches thick on the bottom which probably equates to a gallon of space... is this what is causing it to appear to be 6 gallons? Any help here / confirmation would be great. Not worried about the beer... it will taste good either way I think.. but just trying to learn as much as I can.

Pictures / thread to come on Keezer. Put a linear actuator on it that I had extra from my 300 gallon sw fish tank. Just need to take those pictures....

Thanks!