Should I?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kathomas

Reaction score
My first beer, a milk stout, has been in bottles for 1.5 weeks (bottled last Sunday evening). I'm thinking about cracking the first one open tonight, as I just finished my last undergraduate final. It should be done carbonating by now right? I know it will get better with time, but it should be drinkable now, right?

It depends on temperature, ABV, yeast health, etc. Pop one open and find out!

It SHOULD be drinkable now... You are correct, it will only get better with age, but you should have beer now. Give one a try and let us know what you think. Also, congratulations on finishing the exams!

I agree with the other sentiments. Probably not fully carbed/conditioned yet but who cares. Crack one open and enjoy. Just don't drink them all!

And congrats on finishing your undergrad. I miss college....

It depends on a lot of things if it will be "ready" but it certainly wouldn't hurt to crack one open and try it. Worst case is it isn't ready and you just have to wait which you might do anyway.

It's your first beer, open her up! I think I waited 5 days on my first, so I applaud your restraint. You'll learn a lot from the way it ages. I am still learning. I just recently had a brown mild that was tasty and carbed in 1.5 weeks, whereas my ESB took three and half weeks to shed that "green" beer flavor. The ESB tasted awesome at bottling, tasted repellent at two weeks, and is awesome again now. Alcohol level will make a dramatic difference in how long it takes to be ready.

I STILL crack one open after 5 days on every batch! I like to see how they're coming along at that point. If it's still flat, who cares?! I still drink it! So drink one, and congrats!

I STILL crack one open after 5 days on every batch! I like to see how they're coming along at that point. If it's still flat, who cares?! I still drink it! So drink one, and congrats!

I do too, but didn't want to sound uncouth. Cheers to early drinkers!

Back