Do you squeeze your bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helper

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

My next brew will be a brew in a bag (BIAB) and after doing some research I have read/seen conflicting techniques. Some brewers squeeze the bag so to get the maximum amount out of the grain while others state that it releases tannins/ off flavors.

I was curious as to what everyone else did and why as well as the results they got.

If anyone has done a comparison ( I.e. "I made an English bitter BIAB squeezed once and non squeezed another time and I got these results) that would be great!

As always, thanks for your input in advance,
Helper

Squeeze the hell out of it! Tannins are more related to certain temps and pH issues..

Its an old wives tale that you shouldn't squeeze your sack, those lazy broads are a cunning bunch.

Squeeze away, you will not extract any tannins in that situation.

I squeeze the snot outta my BIAB bag. I then let it gravity drain over another pot while I'm getting my boil going, giving it periodic squeezes until I get tired of the whole thing, then empty whatever else drained into the boil kettle.

That's the wife's job. Beer tastes fine. I agree that the issue is based more on temp and ph. With over two dozen BIAB under the belt, squeezing the bag hasn't been an issue.

Multiple BIAB brews done and I squeeze my bag every time. I have never heard of anyone giving their bag a good squeezing and being sorry the next day. :ban:

Well apparently I did not think the title through before I posted it... but thanks anyways everyone! I apologize for anyone who took offense to my mis-thought-out post title, but I appreciate the good humor put into the comments. From what I've heard, I'll be "squeezing my bag" in a brewer's sense when I do my BIAB.

Much appreciated,
Helper

I have always squeezed and the brews have turned out fine. I also remember reading that too much pressure would squeeze out tannins but that it is not physically possible to squeeze hard enough to squeeze out the tannins.

Back