dry lager starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingofblairs

Reaction score
OK so feel I've got some nice ales under my belt and now its time to tackle a lager. Because of my celler temp (57°F) I was talked into by my LHBS to dry a pack of Saflager 23. I feel I need to make a starter, Mr malty says add another pack (OG 1.053) but I prefer to step it up with a starter. I KNOW underpitching is a deadly sin and don't want to screw up. Any advice on building starters out of dry lager yeast?

It's not a good idea to make a starter from dry yeast- you'll be depleting the energy reserves created when yeast go into hibernation for drying. Mr. Malty is usually correct, and this is no exception. Another pack would be the way to go.

Just buy another packet and rehydrate, assuming it's not a hardship to get back to the shop.

If you don't know Fermentis lists the rehydration temp as 23C +/- 3C which is a lot lower than ale or wine temps.

Back