Vienna malt extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustcallmeMrT

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

So I'm trying to make a vienna style beer similar to Negra Modelo, and since I'm not set up for all grain, this needs to be an extract/specialty grain beer. I'd like to make a substantial portion of my fermentables a vienna extract, but I can't find a retailer in the UK...

Anybody have suggestions of a retailer, or how to get around the problem without paying through the nose for shipping from the U.S.?

Thanks!

Hello everyone!

So I'm trying to make a vienna style beer similar to Negra Modelo, and since I'm not set up for all grain, this needs to be an extract/specialty grain beer. I'd like to make a substantial portion of my fermentables a vienna extract, but I can't find a retailer in the UK...

Anybody have suggestions of a retailer, or how to get around the problem without paying through the nose for shipping from the U.S.?

Thanks!

I don't know of any manufacturer that makes a Vienna extract.

I know you said you aren't set up forr all grain, but you might consider doing a mini mash with some two row and vienna malt and using extracts for the remainder of your fermentables. If you are already steeping grains, its only a half step up to do this.

Perhaps some more knowledgable posters can recommend amounts of grain to use, just keep in mind that you probably want 1.25 quarts of water per pound of grain in the mash

I may be pursuaded, but since I've only done 3 brews (1 extract, 2 extract + specialty grains) and have no idea regarding my water chemistry other than it's hard as nails, I've been a little scared of a partial mash/mini mash.

Advice on how to do this for a Vienna style? What do I need to watch out for? Tips, tricks, anything of help would be great guys!

I'm no chemist, but as far as I know, when doing this method, I don't think the water chemistry is too critical.

Basically as far as the process goes, bring the appropriate amount of water upto 152 degrees F(plus a few degrees perhaps to compensate for temp loss when adding the grains). Turn. The heat off and add the grains, making sure to stir well to prevent clumping. Cover the pot and walkaway for 45 minutes to an hour. Technically, you should do something to assist with maintaining the temp, such as wrapping the pot with a sleeping bag or putting it into an oven set to 150 degrees.

Once the mash time is up remove the grains. If you mash in a seperate pot, you can pour through a colander or you could have put the grains in a large grain bag at the begining of the process(known as BIAB or brew in a bag). You don't have to rinse(sparge) the grains if you don't want,but if you do, use approx 1 quart of 170 degree water per pound. Once done with the grains, begin boil as usual.

As a side note, there is an excellent sticky on stove top BIAB in the beginner forum(iirc). Cheers!

Basic instructions for a partial mash are: 1) Use 1.3 quarts water per lb. 2) Heat to 160 F. 3) Add grains, and stir. 4) Leave for 30+ minutes. 5) Remove and drain grains. 6) Rinse grains in 170 F water.

I don't think I have seen any Vienna extract. You can get Munich extract. To approximate Vienna malt, I would suggest using 50/50 Munich and Light extract. It is an over simplification, but Vienna is similar to Munich, but less malty.

Thanks guys, will give it a try - next brew is going to be a hefe, but after that I'd like to try this Vienna.

I'll read the sticky on BIAB and hopefully get myself better informed. I absolutely love these forums, the help is fantastic!

Back