Base malt for SMaSH ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bianco152

Reaction score
Which of the following malts would you use as a base malt in a smash IPA/APA?

Optic
Pearl
Maris Otter
Halycon
Vienna
UK 2 row
American 2 row
Golden Promise
Light Munich

I will be pairing the malt w/ Nelson sauvin hops :rockin:

Any of those listed. 100% Munich makes a beer that is hard to describe as pale, however. This is a 1.049 Light Munich SMaSH:
9056d1230941076-munich-tett-lager-smash-what-style-img_5487.jpg

For an American IPA, I'd prefer the hops to take the focus, so I'd prefer the less-assertive domestic 2-row.

I agree with John. I'd pick the one I had the least experience with so that I could learn what it'd add when I used it in my next multiple grain beer.

Or pick one I was most curious about for the same reason as above.

Golden Promise will be the most interesting malt selection, and despite popular belief, a suitable base malt even for an American IPA.

American 2-row will best highlight the hops due to the relatively low malt character.

What yeast are you using? Approx. OG, FG, IBUs?

I will probably use WLP001, as I want the yeast character to be minimal in this beer and yield to the hop and malt flavors. OG between 1.07 and 1.08, IBUs 40-60. Im going for more of a balanced to slightly bitter APA/english IPA finish. I may skip buttering hop additions entirely and go w/ all late hops. I will definitely dry hop 2 or 3oz of NS. Last time I did that the result was excellent.

If I were interested in finding out about various hops, I would definitely go for American 2-row. It has a nice simple flavor that doesn't clash with any hop. I have made pale ales with MO and citrusy hops and didn't like that combo. And I love MO so it wasn't that.

Back