Stainless or Aluminum - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Stainless or Aluminum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
emo1981
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Austin, TX
Posts: 13


I hopefully attached a picture and am wondering if the keg is Stainless Steel or Aluminum.
Click image for larger version

Name:	keg.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	52979  

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
rtrevino
 
rtrevino's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2008
San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 389
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Look at the engraving from the manufacturer. It will probably be 304 stainless.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
brewingmeister
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
middle of nowhere
Posts: 1,910
Liked 183 Times on 136 Posts


Stainless. aluminum kegs haven't been used for decades.
You could always call AB and see what their response is when you say I have one of your kegs and I'm keeping it...btw what's it made of?
__________________
............Alright Brain, you don't like me, and I don't like you. But lets just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer......~Homer

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #4
rtrevino
 
rtrevino's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2008
San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 389
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by brewingmeister View Post
Stainless. aluminum kegs haven't been used for decades.
You could always call AB and see what their response is when you say I have one of your kegs and I'm keeping it...btw what's it made of?
Why assume it's not a decomissioned or scrap keg?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:22 PM   #5
brewingmeister
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
middle of nowhere
Posts: 1,910
Liked 183 Times on 136 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrevino

Why assume it's not a decomissioned or scrap keg?
I mention asking AB because it is an AB keg.

Why assume that I care about the legacy of the keg?
There are a lot of kegs. That one isn't mine. I don't care where it was, where it is going or what it's favorite color is.
__________________
............Alright Brain, you don't like me, and I don't like you. But lets just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer......~Homer

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:22 PM   #6
emo1981
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Austin, TX
Posts: 13

the guy said it was aluminum and specs uses aluminum kegs when they sell their kegs of beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:23 PM   #7
emo1981
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Austin, TX
Posts: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrevino View Post
Look at the engraving from the manufacturer. It will probably be 304 stainless.
where would it be located and would it say 304?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:28 PM   #8
emo1981
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Austin, TX
Posts: 13

i guess the other question is: does it matter whether i use aluminum or stainless as a brew kettle? i know stainless is more durable but will it affect my beer?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:28 PM   #9
brewingmeister
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
middle of nowhere
Posts: 1,910
Liked 183 Times on 136 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by emo1981

where would it be located and would it say 304?
It probably won't say.

It is stainless though.
Look through the 'show us your brewstand' thread and you will see thousands of them just like it.
__________________
............Alright Brain, you don't like me, and I don't like you. But lets just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer......~Homer

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #10
brewingmeister
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
middle of nowhere
Posts: 1,910
Liked 183 Times on 136 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by emo1981
i guess the other question is: does it matter whether i use aluminum or stainless as a brew kettle?
The stickie -faq stainless vs alum- in the equipment section will answer all your metalurgy questions.

Long story short...its personal preference.
__________________
............Alright Brain, you don't like me, and I don't like you. But lets just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer......~Homer

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aluminum or stainless? doranobrien Equipment/Sanitation 3 02-28-2012 01:46 AM
Aluminum pot or Stainless pot HELP Bachhus Equipment/Sanitation 7 02-05-2011 11:29 PM
Aluminum vs Stainless Slowfro Equipment/Sanitation 4 04-26-2010 12:58 PM
Stainless or aluminum pot matt0369 Equipment/Sanitation 10 07-30-2007 02:30 AM
Aluminum vs. Stainless baudler Equipment/Sanitation 11 08-07-2005 02:28 AM


Forum Jump