Lakefront Brewery IBA Pro Series Extract Kit w/ Specialty Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxKDDxx

Reaction score
I am currently brewing this kit and just racked to my secondary 4 days ago. Does anyone have notes or experience brewing this. I'm curious as to what the final gravity should be. I followed the directions except I did a 90 min boil. I ended up with an og of 1.070. I racked this beer after 6 days in the primary. My thinking was I wanted to do it before fermentation was completely over so it would purge the head space. Is this wrong to do? My gravity at racking was 1.019. I'm afraid I stopped the fermentation since there are no more bubbles coming through my airlock. I used the dry yeast with the kit as well. I am probably worrying over nothing but any help would be appreciated.

That seems like a very short primary, but I don't secondary...

I would let it go for at least another 3 weeks before bottling and dry hop for no more than 10 days to avoid grassy flavors

Good luck!

I think your fine, usually with IPA's fermenting for 7-10days before secondary is normal but allow at least the same time for the secondary (7-10days). Leave in the Bottle for at least 3 weeks thou. Hope it turns out good...

How would I know if I need to pitch more yeast before I bottle? I worry that I will not get carbonation in the bottle. Not only for this brew but for future brews, how can you check the condition of your yeast before bottling?

I would just relax and let it ride. RDWHAHB as they say. You have a better chance of screwing it up trying to fix a mistake that doesn't exist than having the beer turn out badly at this point.

It is beneficial for the yeast to sit on the yeast cake for a while, but it won't ruin a beer. You'll perhaps notice a more pronounced alcohol taste, but the beer will be edible.

For all IPAs this is the schedule I follow:
-Primary for 3 weeks - krausen should have fallen by this time
-Secondary for 1 week with dryhops
-bottles for 2 weeks room temp
-bottles for 1 week in fridge

Haven't made a bad one yet, IMO.

You will have plenty of yeast for bottling, only really high gravity beers may need new/different yeast for bottling due to alcohol tolerance

Back