fermentation stuck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyBeerbottles

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Started cider on Monday morning it was going strong and now fermentation has slowed to about 3 bubbles a minute. Its only 4 days along. Should I repitch or rack in a day or 2 into a new carboy? I used lalvin 212 started @70 Degrees now its at 68.

I wouldn't jump to conclusion just yet. Bubbles in an airlock aren't made to measure fermentation. Use your tools; a hydrometer reading will indicate if fermentation is taking place or not. Do it for a couple of days and see if it's stuck or not. Don't rush to pitching, shaking, tossing, whatever... As for yeast and temperature, it seems fine to me. My only question is did you give it a good aeration when you pitched? (a simple stir can do wonderful things, but focus on the measurements first).

Leave it alone. It's fine, if it's just apples/apple juice in there it ferments out pretty quick.

Relax I've never made a bad beer, cider or mead by waiting too long. Although I have messed up a few by being impatient.

Thanks I was getting anxious. First cider and all. Ill leave it alone. It does have dried currants in with the apple juice. What would be a good length of time before racking into secondary? 7-10 days total?

I've never used currants but have added other fermentables.

Usually I put it in the primary for a month or so and skip the secondary. If I was going to age it I'd rack to a secondary... I'll let you know if I ever do that with a cider.

The only time I've used a secondary was when I was bulk aging something.

Back