87.69% Apparent Attenuation even possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cold Country Brewery

Reaction score
I’m trying to figure out how much grain I will need for a lager recipe I’m making. But the attenuation of the yeast is tripping me up. I was shooting for:
OG: 1.063
FG: 1.008

The only problem is when I calculate that it comes back with 87.69% Apparent Attenuation. Actual Attenuation of 71.38%. But Wyeast lists their yeast between 72-76% attenuation. But they go off of Apparent, not actual…right?

I know a beer can get that low with a starter, proper pitching rates, aeration etc. What am I missing? According to the Wyeast attenuation, there is no way I’m getting that low….:confused:

Mash low and overpitch. You can get there. I got a doppelbock to go from 1.077 to 1.009. I pitched a ten gallon batch on the yeast cake from a lower gravity 10 gallon batch. I mashed at 152 , for 3 hours.

The beer is delicious...tastes all malty like a doppelbock should but doesn't fill you up. dangerous.

Yes it is possible. You will probably need to mash low and long. Avoid crystal malts. Pitch very healthy amounts of yeast...in fact for a lager you are probably better off just racking onto the yeast cake from a previous batch.

Why exactly are you trying to hit those numbers? What is the grain bill like?

Back