Brew too much - beers on hand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arkowa

Reaction score
I brew, I love to brew, I brew whenever I have free time. I drink, sometimes. I'm trying to be healthyish and that requires moderation. Typically I bring beers to family get-togethers, parties, etc. A case or two or three at a time makes for great times! Still, the beer piles up. I just love making the stuff.

I must have lost track of how much I have brewed. All batches, once bottled and boxed up, are lined up along the cellar wall. Today I decided to count how many different batches of beer I have available in sizable amounts (at least two 12 pack cases).

17 if you count three variations of heff.

The hell. One could make a 12 pack and 5/6ths of a 6 pack and not have a single repeat beer.

I currently have a cherry hibiscus wheat, standard american lager, helles, hellesbock, bohemian pils, and schwarzbier in the pipeline. APA planned for tomorrow. Twenty-four different beers on hand in a month.
This tells me two things:
1.) I kick ass at collecting bottles
2.) Might be a sign to slow down, give away more beer, and start entering into a million competitions.

So my question: Who else has an insane abundance of beer on hand? How many different batches are stacked up? It will help me not feel like a freak to know that other brewing brethren/sisteren are out there with my same "problem".

I wish... I only have the space for 1 keg at a time. No room for cases of bottles. I too try not to drink too much and I am the only one in the house who drinks my homebrew. 5 gallons lasts me almost 3 months.

I love having the variety. My doppelbock and barleywine can last forever, it is things like the heff, cream ale, the delicate little flower beers that don't age well... guess I need to be better at making sure those go out the door first. The idea of sitting on stale beer is a concern :(

Send it to Maine, I'll get rid of it for yeah! :D

(well, some one was going to volunteer sooner or later!)

I share your sickness!!

image-2229906316.jpg

Just counted at least a 12 pack of 8 different brews on hand, plus 4 batches in carboys to be bottled. I'm a little behind due to an intense school quarter.

What I would give for a nice size freezer keezer. I might surprise the wife with a "gift". When she tells me "wtf, we don't need a freezer", I'll say "Oh, that sucks, I was thinking of you! I guess I'll figure out what to do with it, I lost the receipt".

I feel your pain. I counted 11 cases (24 pack) and 1 full Cornie. All different kind of beer. I like the ability of having a large variety on hand. I start to worry when the line drops below 6 cases. I try to brew 1-2 times a month on average but 10 gal batches do last longer.

beerloaf

I currently have 8 - five gallon kegs waiting to be drank and two on tap. Another 20 gallons of beer is fermenting. So I have around 70 gallons in waiting total. So roughly 560 pints. That doesn't sound like too much.

I only have 11 varieties in bottles, one in the fermenter and one in the planning for this week. I think I have nearly 300 bottles full now and I usually have one bottle per day to drink. However, once the spring melt is on my brewing comes to a halt and what I have in bottles needs to last until November or December.

To satisfy my wanting to brew I have been brewing 2 1/2 gallon batches. Since I expect them to need 3 weeks in the fermenter and 3 more in bottles, I can drink them as fast as I brew them. If I felt that I wanted to brew more often, I could start doing 1 gallon batches.

I have the opposite problem right now. I have been building a new electric system for the past six months. I just brewed for the first time in a while this past week.

I have seven empty kegs right now and nothing bottled! I have 8 gallons in carboys. I plan to keg the first batch this week. Soon I will have beer!

I have around 17-18 CASES of home brew, probably around 11 varieties. That doesn't take into account the two full kegs or the 3 in fermenters. I feel your pain, but it'ss a good pain.

I have a similar sickness and the cure I found was sour/wild ale. It allows me to brew a lot and not have to drink it since it takes 1 to 2 years to finish. I have 65 gallons of different sours in carboys, cornies and a 10 gallon barrel, ranging for 1 year to 1 day old. Also have 10 gallons on tap and tons of bottles for longer aging.

I'm right up there with some of you. I don't keg but have (60) six-packs of various beer, cider, apfelwein, and hard lemonade. I also have some 1 gal. jugs of wine and a 5 gal. carboy each of apfelwein and pink lemonade fermenting. I sometimes wonder how I will make it through all of it especially since I have recipes waiting to do.

I currently have 8 - five gallon kegs waiting to be drank and two on tap. Another 20 gallons of beer is fermenting. So I have around 70 gallons in waiting total. So roughly 560 pints. That doesn't sound like too much.

That's only two pints a day for a year fella. No worries there!

I have the opposite problem, I have an abundance of ingredients and equipment, 30 cornys, 12 carboys, 400+ empty bottles and 150 lbs. of grain. And I'm buying beer. So sad...

But do to a long term illness of my best friend (father in law) that resulted in his death in early January, my involvement with my son (Academics, Boy Scouts, learning a couple instruments and preparing for spring baseball). I the last 12 months I have only had the opportunity to brew 4-5 times. One of which I brewed 3, 5 gallon batches in one day for my BiL rehearsal dinner (that sucked).

So I appreciate your post. It give men the opportunity to live vicariously thru the brewing of someone who is definitely more organizes than I am. Cheers.

Buying liquid yeast is a big reason for my glut. Unlike dry yeast, I can can not fathom using liquid once or twice and moving on to something else. It is sorta on principal, if I am paying $8 for yeast, I'm doing every style possible with that particular yeast!

12-14 cases bottled, 7 kegs on tap, one lagering, one on deck to be tapped, three fermenting.... I'm the only drinker in the family and try to be healthy too. Almost 38 and jeans from high school still fit (a little loose)! ..moderation and lots of exercise!

Cheers, Werbi

OP, I bow to your awesomeness!

I, too, drink very moderately (no more than two beers - usually only one - and only on the weekends, and not every weekend). I'll have to give away a large portion of my homebrew, and I want to brew so many kinds!

the best thing for my beer was starting up the poker games with the guys again... I have a 10 tap kegerator always full, with always 2-3 kegs in standby...i have too much beer. I love brewing and refining my process, and i love my final product i just don't always drink beer, i enjoy wine..G&T, scotch, etc...so i'm not always reaching for the taps. But bringing 3 growlers to a poker game, or game night or work, gets rid of beer quick!

I'm guilty. Not sure of actually quantity on hand, but I do have 23 different styles available in bottle, keg or both.

I like having a long pipeline in the works because most beers I prefer take awhile to ripen.

I need more kegs. I have 6 beers on tap and I got another 4 batches that need to go on the gas by the end of the month. Brewing today too. All of my bottles are currently filled. Time to drink up!

Back