Initial Fermentation Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tekkydave

Reaction score
Hi,

I've finished batch #7, and I have a question on fermentation times.

Due to money constraints, I'm stuck doing 2-2.5 gallon batches (AG). For yeast, I've been pitching a single smack pack, vial or packet of yeast, with no starter or hydration.

My question is as follows: How long should the initial fermentation be? My bubbling always seems to stop after 36-48 hours, and my yeast cake is usually receding after 6-7 days. Is that normal for such small batches? I just read a thread where someones airlock was still bubbling after day 9!

I've been letting the fermenter sit for 3-4 weeks before bottling, and thus far, each batch has been drinkable, with a brown ale being down right good beer.

Should I be worried?

If your airlock activity is comming to a halt in 36 hours you are just fine (even with small batches like that) Some of my brews have had a 24 hour lag time due to not making a starter, lack of aeration and underpitching but have come out with minimal to no off tastes. You can easily notice the difference between off tastes and a sub par recipe. If it's drinkable then don't worry.

What I refer to as initial fermentation is at the beginning during the vigorous ferment that makes all the krausen & bubbles. When initial fermentation is done,the bubbling slows or stops. But it's not done fermenting yet. It just slows down fermenting till it hits a stable FG that you measure with your hydrometer.
I then give it 3-7 days to settle out clear or slightly misty. By slightly misty I mean you can kinda see through it,but not clearly in the hydrometer tube. Then it's done. Ready to dry hop or bottle at that point.

Back