Apple Cider Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Letner

Reaction score
Hello everyone I am a new member so forgive me if this has been discussed before.

I started fermenting 6 gallons of pasteurized apple cider and added 5lbs of sugar (dissolved) and I pitched my yeast when the temp was 75 (campaign yeast) after 24 hours I did not see any activity in my airlock. I then assumed my yeast was no good so I added another package of yeast. Again 24 hours later I see no activity in my airlock.

Is this batch dead for whatever reason or is this normal to see no activity?

Thanks for the help

It can take up to 72 hrs for it to get going. If it does not start after 72 hrs then worry.

What was in the apple juice?

If there are any preservatives, the yeast is likely dead. Apple juice and ascorbic acid are about the only things that should be in there. Anything else is probably a preservative. If that is the case, there isn't anything you can really do about it.

If it is working, you will not see much kraeusen, but there will be some bubbles coming to the surface.

I just poped the top to see if there were bubbles comming to the surface and it looks allot better than yesterday. Yesterday it looked like a bucket of apple juice. Today there is a layer of foam. My guess now is that everything is working but not enough to get any reaction from the airlock.

Back