Brew Pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheClaw

Reaction score
So I have been researching brew pots for awhile now. I still can't figure out which route to go. I think I want to try brewing on a stove top before I move outside (for I don't have to buy a propane burner right away). I want to be able to move easily into 5/6 gallon BIAB and maybe eventually into AG. Is stainless steel worth the extra money? Have people used a 11 gallon pot on the stove?

Here is what I have been looking at
Amazon.com: Bayou Classic 4060 60-Quart All Purpose Aluminum Stockpot with Steam and Boil Basket: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Amazon.com: Bayou Classic 1144 44-Quart All Purpose Stainless Steel Stockpot with Steam and Boil Basket: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Amazon.com: Bayou Classic 1044 44-Quart Stainless-Steel Stockpot: Patio, Lawn & Garden(Without the basket)

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest getting SS pots. We got ours for $8 each.

You can use them for regular day-to-day things also.

After you graduate to bigger heavier brewing equip you can still use them for the other things.

scaled.php

~

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest getting SS pots. We got ours for $8 each.

You can use them for regular day-to-day things also.

After you graduate to bigger heavier brewing equip you can still use them for the other things.

scaled.php

~

Where in the world did you find pots like that for $8/ea.???

Gordman's was one. The local grocery stores for the other two. They are thin. I have made a lot of beer with them though.

I wasn't in a rush. My wife found the first one. They all have lids too BTW.

Keep your eyes open.

I just picked up a propane burner and 30qt aluminium pot combo for 44 bucks at Walmart which is about what a ss pot was going to cost me

I was looking at turkey fryers online, and the one negative thing that came up more than anything in customer reviews* was how thin the metal is. I guess it comes down to an individual buyer's price vs. durability threshold. The research I did scared me off of buying something I couldn't actually handle and inspect before forking over my money.

*Relative to the actual pots. Most reviews mentioned problems with things like auto-shutoff, temp control (or lack thereof) and other issues relating to the burners.

I bought this from amazon:
Prime Pacific Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Stock Pot with Lid, 35-Quart

I really like it. It's much wider than the turkey fryer pots so the break is considerably less problem.

Looks like its $115 now. I got mine for $75 and thinks its a good value at that price. I anticipate it lasting a very long time. It's thick and has great handles and a tight fitting lid.

After thinking it over, I think I will end up with the 44 qt Bayou pot with a steamer basket. I most likely will get the Bayou SQ14 burner. I hope brew my 1st BIAB within the next month once I get everything I need

If you are still thinking of stainless, farmhousebrewingsupply.com has a 42qt polarware stainless pot with lid for about 69.

I want to to do BIAB, I can get 44 bayou with steamer basket for 114. The basket makes it 40 bucks more than just the regular pot. Do you think the basket it worth it?

I want to to do BIAB, I can get 44 bayou with steamer basket for 114. The basket makes it 40 bucks more than just the regular pot. Do you think the basket it worth it?

When I was doing BIAB I found the basket extremely useful, but 40 more dollars is a lot more. I just had a cheap aluminum setup.

I found out the hard way that apparently all turkey fryer types have auto shut off. The one I picked up has a 12 min timer that if u don't reset by the end of 12 min it shuts off. Solution... Bypass the timer or clamp the timer so it doesn't move. No prob!

I'm about to buy the spike brewing 10 gallon stainless steel pot with the 2 pre-drilled spots. I am going to get the thermometer and valve, teh whole setup is like 150.

So many options, I can't decide if I want to spend the more money on the basket, and drill the holes later myself, or if I want to get one already drilled without the basket.

Back