Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Russian Imperial Stout - Secondary Fermentation

Old 01-19-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
jpc8015
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default Russian Imperial Stout - Secondary Fermentation

I am planning on making a Russian Imperial Stout to hand out for Christmas presents in December 2012. I've got an extract recipe that estimates OG at 1.092. I am planning on leaving the stout in the primary fermentation for 10-14 days before moving it to the secondary fermenter. At this point I will leave town for an extended business trip. Is 10-12 weeks too long to leave a beer like this in the secondary fermenter? The fermenter will be indoors at a temp of between 68-72. If need be I could put it out in the garage where it is a bit cooler but the temprature is less stable.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
diegobonatto
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc8015 View Post
I am planning on leaving the stout in the primary fermentation for 10-14 days before moving it to the secondary fermenter. At this point I will leave town for an extended business trip. Is 10-12 weeks too long to leave a beer like this in the secondary fermenter? The fermenter will be indoors at a temp of between 68-72. If need be I could put it out in the garage where it is a bit cooler but the temprature is less stable.
You can also leave the beer on primary for extended period of time instead of moving it to a secondary, as heavily discussed in HBT.
I think that 68-72 is a little bit high....but its ok. The most important in your case is to keep fermenter (primary or secondary) in a clean environment and protected from direct sunlight.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
jpc8015
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

So could I just leave the beer in the primary for a total of 12-14 weeks without any problems? I have heard that leaving beer on the yeast cake that long will give it off flavors.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
diegobonatto

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
So could I just leave the beer in the primary for a total of 12-14 weeks without any problems? I have heard that leaving beer on the yeast cake that long will give it off flavors.
If you look for keeping beer in primary for extended period of time in "search tool" of HBT, you will seen a long list of discussions made about this subject. Some examples:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/.../leav...ds-time-97161/
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/.../can-...long-have-ill- affects-86608/
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/.../how-...mary-fermenter -if-im-not-using-secondary-28929/

Very, very interesting discussions.
Have a nice brew!

Old 01-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #5
Seven
Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
I've got an extract recipe that estimates OG at 1.092. I am planning on leaving the stout in the primary fermentation for 10-14 days before moving it to the secondary fermenter.
If it were me I would just leave it in the primary while you're away. 1.092 is a big beer so it will benefit from sitting a while longer on the yeast. This will give the yeast plenty of time to ferment and clean up after themselves.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #6
jpc8015
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
If it were me I would just leave it in the primary while you're away. 1.092 is a big beer so it will benefit from sitting a while longer on the yeast. This will give the yeast plenty of time to ferment and clean up after themselves.
Are there certain yeasts that do better than others when the beer stays in the primary for so long? I have only worked with dry yeast thus far but would not be opposed to using a liquid and making a starter.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #7
diegobonatto

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Are there certain yeasts that do better than others when the beer stays in the primary for so long? I have only worked with dry yeast thus far but would not be opposed to using a liquid and making a starter.
Not really...all yeast display similar physiological behaviors on the final process of fermentation. In this sense, the brewer yeasts are able to withstand for long periods of time after fermentation without major problems.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:34 PM   #8
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 206 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 99

I would disagree. Go for 2-3 weeks primary (4 if you're still in town). Then go as long as you want in secondary. Just make sure to keep the airlock from drying out.

I was over at a brew buddies 2 weeks ago. Tried his 1.102 RIS that we brewed last Feb. He had it in secondary for 250 days and it was ...AMAZING. Best damn beer I've ever tasted, and I'm not a big stout guy. Changed my perception about how long to age BIG beers in bulk in secondary.
Primary #1: Umlaut my Kölsch VI #2: Sunrise Wit
Secondary #1
: Empty #2: Black Currant Wine #3: Empty
Kegged
: Witbier
Bottles
: Spruced Winter Warmer, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Russian Imperial Stout, Barolo Wine, Berry Rhubarb Wine
On Deck: Dusseldorf Alt III, BGSA

Old 01-19-2012, 11:29 PM   #9
Sacdan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use yeast nutrient added for the first through third (sometimes longer) days of fermentation in my RIS. I think it helps with the higher OG brews.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:34 PM   #10
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbes View Post
I would disagree. Go for 2-3 weeks primary (4 if you're still in town). Then go as long as you want in secondary. Just make sure to keep the airlock from drying out.

I was over at a brew buddies 2 weeks ago. Tried his 1.102 RIS that we brewed last Feb. He had it in secondary for 250 days and it was ...AMAZING. Best damn beer I've ever tasted, and I'm not a big stout guy. Changed my perception about how long to age BIG beers in bulk in secondary.
+1

I think one of the biggest advantages of bulk aging vs. bottling conditioning is that you... CANT DRINK THE BEER! I always bottle my big beers after 5 or 6 week in the primary and set these lofty goals of bottling aging. Problem is all the beer is gone before my set date lol.