Douglas County, Colorado Water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skippyf16

Reaction score
I'm in South Pinery, Parker, Colorado and wonder if the tap water is the cause of off flavors in my last pale ale. Anyone else have any experience with this water?

I grew up living in the Pinery (Lakeshore Drive)! Back then it was "The Pinery" and "South Pinery". Can't help you with the water unfortunately. Monument water seems to be pretty good but I haven't done an analysis on it.

I'll be brewing my first batch in the next two weeks with Littleton water. I wouldn't think it would be too much different from the water over in Parker.

I have recently moved to Parker (Stonegate) and haven't had a problem with the 4 brews I have made so far.

Littleton water (denerwater.org) has chloramine, and will leave an off flavor if you don't treat for it. I use campden tablets, and that got rid of the light pool flavor.

Crazy! Cant comment on the water but I have lived in the South Pinery back in 1986 then moved to the Pinery in 1987 lived there until 2008 with my folks. Captain Merriwether Lewis Dr.

1 tablet will treat up to 20 gallons. I typically crush it and add it to by mash/sparge water about 1 hour before I begin heating the water.

It has been a bit since your post, but I recently moved into Stonegate. I have been using a mineral mix that is sold in bulk quantities that will adjust your mash PH to 5.2. I have not had any problems yet and beers have tasted good.

My only concern might be the sparge water that I have not treated, but so far, it has not caused any problems, even with lighter ales. I always figure a little gypsum never hurts either...

Hope that helps!

Back