Cleaning keg lines = flakes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaldManBrew

Reaction score
I'm cleaning my keg lines before I put in my second beer into keg. the keg had sat for a couple months nearly kicked before washing it out. I gave it a nice long (4 days) soak of PBW and ran solution through lines. I rinsed out the keg several times. Visual inspection looked good so ran straight water through lines to remove pbw from lines. I have now run 8-10 gallons of star san solution through the lines and am continuing to keep getting flakes coming out the tap with the star san solution.

I'm very frustrated, and cannot find anything similar on the forums. Anyone struggle with cleaning their keg and lines that might be able to help me out?

Thank you

I'm cleaning my keg lines before I put in my second beer into keg. the keg had sat for a couple months nearly kicked before washing it out. I gave it a nice long (4 days) soak of PBW and ran solution through lines. I rinsed out the keg several times. Visual inspection looked good so ran straight water through lines to remove pbw from lines. I have now run 8-10 gallons of star san solution through the lines and am continuing to keep getting flakes coming out the tap with the star san solution.

I'm very frustrated, and cannot find anything similar on the forums. Anyone struggle with cleaning their keg and lines that might be able to help me out?

Thank you

If they are super fine flakes, they are from your water, and not your lines.

A mild acid rinse may help, such as vinegar and water, but if your problem persists just change your lines, cheap enough, and should be done every once in a while regardless.

FWIW, after I kick a keg, the first thing I do is rinse my lines with some RO water, then I recirc keg line cleaner through, rinse, and run some StarSan through, and store it in the line until next use. When I hook up my new keg, I just run the beer through until the StarSan is out of the lines, and the yeast (if any is gone, about a cup or two max).

I always break kegs down every use. I remove posts, poppets, inserts, etc. Everything gets soaked before I re-assemble. Sucks but I don't get flakes.

Latest posts

Back