Recommendations for starter kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turk1

Reaction score
Hi! I am new to the site as well as brewing. I have been wanting to get a starter kit for awhile now and think I will finally do so this Christmas. Are there any kits that would be recommended? I have looked at the beginner kits on homebrewing.org and perfectbrewingsupply.com, as well as my local brewing store. They all seem to have the same items but didn't know if the quality of one was better than the other? I was thinking about spending $100-150 on a kit to see if it would be something I would enjoy before I upgraded equipment. Appreciate any suggestions.

Just get a basic kit with ONE fermenter, called the primary, an autosiphon, airlock, some sanitizer, bottles, bottle capper and caps. You can use a 5 gal stockpot for the actual boiling of ingredients. That's about as basic as you can get without spending a lot of cash. That way if you find you don't like it your not stuck with a bunch of crap laying around.

brooklynbrewshop.com

$40 kits with just about everything you need. You probably have pots big enough at your house, just need a funnel and strainer, probably have that too. Highly recommend it. Easy to experiment with and not that big of a deal if you only ruin 10 beers. Speaking of 10 beers, WAY easier to bottle than a 5 gallon kit. I use 16 oz bottles and its just way more relaxing than the big kits.

And like you stated, you should start small and see if you like it and where you want to go with it.

Thanks for the recommendations, I like the brew brother kit, that seems like a good kit for the price. Midwest Supplies has a similar kit although it does not have an auto siphon which sounds like a good thing to have.

You'll get a lot of opinions - I'm partial to the Cooper's DIY kit. You get everything to brew your first batch; beer kit, bottles and caps, priming tabs, hydrometer, spoon, fermenter, etc. All you need is to do is be able to heat up a couple of liters of water and off you go. $99 and i think $8 flat rate to ship.

http://www.makebeer.net/

Whatever you end up with, welcome to the obsession and happy brewing.

Cheers!

Back