Bell's Barleywine Yeast Culrure Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baltjoe

Reaction score
I tried to culture Bells Barleywine from about three bottles. I stepped up twice and there appeared to be more yeast than when I started. However, it was gray in color and when I smelled the starter it had a strong almost rubber chemical smell. I tossed it since we are brewing tomorrow and I didn't want to take a chance on it.

Any idea what yeast they use and what happened?

Thanks!

Joe

Some say it is damn close to American Ale II/California Ale V (and I'm nearly certain this is Anchor's yeast for their Liberty). That said, a Barleywine is usually going to have a lot less viable yeast in it. Try one of their lower gravity ales. Stubbornman has had excellent success bottle culturing from their pale ale. I'd give that a try. As an additional benefit, like all Bell's brews, it's an excellent beer.

Yeah, their Pale Ale is definitely their weakest beer (IMO at least), but a 6 pack of that is great for culturing. I actually cultured off of that and stepped up to do their Third Coast Old Ale. I brewed it in July so I haven't bottled it yet, but it smelled/tasted amazing when I transferred to the keg for aging.

Back