ACK! To much trub! Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newdamage1

Reaction score
I'm filling my carboy now, and this batch of fresh hops is clogging up the works!!

I have a basic syphon going, but it getting tons and tons of material into the carboy, is this going to be a problem? Should I rack to another container and then back to get some of this material out?

Its done, this is how much I'm talking about.

6ZMag

I dont have a funnel, I tried a hops bag, but it clogged really fast. Should I rack it?

http://imgur.com/6ZMag

Is this carboy primary or secondary? I thought you may've been racking to secondary?...You beat me. The pic answers that question. I've never seen that much trub! Just do the best you can at this point. Strainers & the like are out,unless you have one that'll fit in the top of a funnel.

That's a lot of hot break material then. I thought it was done fermenting. If you could rack it to another carboy or ale pale,it'd be great. I started straining the chilled wort & top off water into my FV's a few brews ago. Way less trub in the FV that way.

thats cold break man, check mine out from last weekend.

5627-celebratory-ale-cold-break-yeah-i-got-some.jpg

Same Beer 12 hours later
5628-celebratory-ale-12-hours-after-pitching-yeast.jpg

-=Jason=-

That's a lot of hot break material then. I thought it was done fermenting. If you could rack it to another carboy or ale pale,it'd be great. I started straining the chilled wort & top off water into my FV's a few brews ago. Way less trub in the FV that way.

Is this an extract or all grain? I have seen alot more break in alot of pic on this site?

This is an all-grain, and it's at 1.065, about where I wanted it.

It does look just like Jason's pic, Ive just never had a hot brake be half of the carboy. Is this a RDWHAHB situation?

thats cold break man, check mine out from last weekend.

5627-celebratory-ale-cold-break-yeah-i-got-some.jpg

-=Jason=-
My hot break material looks like that,like wet popcorn. Same as cold break,clumped up proteins,etc. I strain to get in the FV clean,but sheez. Looks like you guys ned to run it through a press or something. Skim off the curd,lolz.

I stopped worrying about what it looks like when it goes into the carboy. My last few brews have looked like chunky, murky pond water going in but have been coming out clear (with a few inches of trub left behind at the bottom of the primary).

Thanks for the super fast responses, most appreciated. It's pitched and she' sitting at 65.

The hotbreak was already down to 1/4 of the carboy from almost a half, its always something new... :)

Latest posts

Back