Syracuse, ny - round 6 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW: Looks like we had some activity on the page and we have gone past one pallet!!

44 bags of grain
1 bag (bucket) PBW

45 total for the current order. I better keep watching this so I can squeak a few more bags in :D

BTW: Looks like we had some activity on the page and we have gone past one pallet!!

44 bags of grain
1 bag (bucket) PBW

45 total for the current order. I better keep watching this so I can squeak a few more bags in :D

Should we limit the order to like 80 bags so that we dont get screwed last time for being over the weight of 1 pallet? Hate to try to fill 3 pallets =)

Also the PBW was a PITA, BUTTTTTTT this time I think we can be more prepared... and its definitely worth the savings I think.

Nice, I remember Jhenderson saying it was a mess. Great price always win. I'll probably add a few bags to this too. I'm going to start blowing out my supplies in a hurry.

Nice, I remember Jhenderson saying it was a mess. Great price always win. I'll probably add a few bags to this too. I'm going to start blowing out my supplies in a hurry.

Yeah, we'll just make sure to do it outside this time. It powders up real easy, give ya a real good burn when it hits your lungs =)

im goign to have to figure out what im going to need, so i can get more bags of grain... (already burned through one, while iw as home.. goign to burn through 1-2 next time im home!)

hmm time to start thinking about some projects!

so when im home next i wasnt to do a RIS, any suggestions?

I just added 5 sacks to the order. Didn't want to miss out. I won't be there until mid to late March, but if the order comes sooner, I'll have friends or family pick it up for me.

CBK and FL_BREWER,

You guys are in on the BD_RSTB split with me. You guys want to bump up to 1/3's so we can close it out? Or just stick with 1/4 until we get closer to 80 sacks and if its still open do it then?

Jeff B

CBK and FL_BREWER,

You guys are in on the BD_RSTB split with me. You guys want to bump up to 1/3's so we can close it out? Or just stick with 1/4 until we get closer to 80 sacks and if its still open do it then?

Jeff B

I am good either way. Whatever you want to do is fine with me.

im goign to have to figure out what im going to need, so i can get more bags of grain... (already burned through one, while iw as home.. goign to burn through 1-2 next time im home!)

hmm time to start thinking about some projects!

so when im home next i wasnt to do a RIS, any suggestions?

The Kate the great brew from NH - mine turned out really good.

Ok 12 point socket it is! Anyone know what size?

I should have said one of the posts is bigger and one smaller - just checked my wrenches; one type is 22mm wrench and the other is 11/16. I know with the 22mm sized one it is tough using a box wrench on a few of mine (crowded spacing doesn't allow the teeth to catch). However the 11/16 sized posts have plenty of clearance. YMMV

Looks like we caught another surge! Consider the splits guys, lots of good ones up there.

Just added a bag of MOPA as a place holder for me (might grab one more bag of 2row or similar)

Added a split on a bag of golden promise (.50) Need one .5 or two .25 to get that closed.

On these splits:

TF-AMBR 0.67 (willing to go to .5 bag if needed)
GB-HONY 0.50 (willing to go to .5 bag if needed)

Just added a bag of MOPA as a place holder for me (might grab one more bag of 2row or similar)

Added a split on a bag of golden promise (.50) Need one to get that closed.

On these splits:

You know you already are in a split of Golden Promise?

As for the Amber, 1/3 is enough for me. 1/2 is too much. Youre welcome to go 2/3 on your side if you wish =)

You know you already are in a split of Golden Promise?

As for the Amber, 1/3 is enough for me. 1/2 is too much. Youre welcome to go 2/3 on your side if you wish =)

HAHA

ok I am removing it...

I am an arse. I thought I actually got a split bag on the last order... then checked and didn't see it. Ha! thanks Jeff - you saved me from myself.

OK so added another bag of 2row instead since i held out on that for the GP... which I already had....

52 Bags _ 1 chemical = 53Bags

Heads up - Everyone Please Read Below

Ok someone pointed out to me that we are going to be dealing with a lot of dollars for this buy since it will be a full two pallets (True). This might present some unique issues since we have to do some money shuffling and we can't use paypal for a clean transaction (True). Here is the thought that was passed along to me:

1. Once we reach a certain amount of bags (maybe 70 bags) in the order it would trigger a partial payment from each participant. This payment could be sent by regular personal check (should have enough time to clear before the order closes) or certified check / Money order.

2. When the order closes and real pricing is available the participant would then pay the final amount before they are able to pick up their grain. We could probably do this through paypal, amazon pay or chase bank instant pay services since the amount would be minimal.

Partial Payment:

~80% payment against your total at the time of release (we can kee it a round number). I would let people know the partial payment amount when we hit the target.

The main reason for doing this is so I am not trying to move thousands of dollars through accounts last minute. Banks probably will start thinking I am a grain terror!st or something. It also lessens the risk of putting up so much cash for the grain buy.

Sound off and let me know what suggestions you guys might have to make this smoother. If you think this is fair/reasonable and appropriate.

Thanks!

Added a split on a bag of golden promise (.50) Need one .5 or two .25 to get that closed.

On these splits:

I just took .25 of the GB-HONY. So, .25 to go. If need be, I can go 1/3. So, what should I use it for? :)

Also, assuming I won't be making many Porter's or Stout's, is there good use for TF-AMBR?

The honey I have never used and wanted to try it for a couple things.

1. Use it in Pales to give them a little something different.
2. REALLY want to make a nice honey rye brew (wife likes Lake Placids honey rye)
3. Sam Adam's Alpine Lager uses it, so was considering using it in something along those lines.
4. Want to use in specialty mashes for some experiemental ciders I want to try

The TF-Amber I never used either. There was a really popular recipe on here that people were using the amber for last time - I wanted to try that. Also wanted to try using that in pales.

1. Once we reach a certain amount of bags (maybe 70 bags) in the order it would trigger a partial payment from each participant. This payment could be sent by regular personal check (should have enough time to clear before the order closes) or certified check / Money order.

2. When the order closes and real pricing is available the participant would then pay the final amount before they are able to pick up their grain. We could probably do this through paypal, amazon pay or chase bank instant pay services since the amount would be minimal.

Partial Payment:

~80% payment against your total at the time of release (we can kee it a round number). I would let people know the partial payment amount when we hit the target.

I think this is quite reasonable and would be willing to bet that once people have money invested the last 14 bags would be spoken for real quick.

Also, assuming I won't be making many Porter's or Stout's, is there good use for TF-AMBR?

Yoopers dfh 60 uses amber malt. I have been looking at a dfh 90 recipe here in the recipe section that very specifically calls for tf amber. I have everything to do this one on hand except the yeast. wlp 07.

I just realized (sitting here watching the Penguins hockey game and (drinking SN Celebration because I kicked my English IPA), that I've actually made amber malt. You just need to take 2-row and roast it on a cookie sheet for 20-25 minutes @ 350 degrees. By the way, it smells great when your doing this. Obviously not as easy as just pulling it from the bag...

I'll take the last honey split if someone could update it for me!

Got ya!

Also added 1 to mine and also swapped things around. Still have 2 sacks of CM-2ROW so gonna try some new things. Hows the GW-PALE?

54+1 sacks!

Also added the total weight est to the spreadsheet. This includes closed splits only.

hey guys, since this would be my first group buy on here I wanted to make sure I dont break things. Do I add my name to the google doc at the top, make selections, add a post here with updated total?

Back