Doppel Bock Recipes Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adromo

Reaction score
Hi All. I'm putting together a doppel bock recipe and thought I would solicit the boards advice on a recipe review. I've never made a doppel bock before. My plan is to pitch this wort on the yeast cake from a bock that I will brew before hand so I don't anticipate yeast count being an issue. I have done a decoction mash before, but I am going to try and get away with an infusion mash this go round.

The Recipe:

Style: Doppelbock
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.74 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.72 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.085 SG
Estimated Color: 17.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 19.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type %/IBU
12 lbs 8.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 73.5 %
3 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 17.6 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 8.8 %
1.50 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %] Hop 17.4 IBUs
0.25 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %] Hop 2.2 IBUs
2.0 pkg Bavarian Lager (Wyeast Labs #2206)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 17 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 4.77 gal of water at 172.8 F 155.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 4.01 gal water at 168.0 F

All suggestions welcome. Thanks.

FWIW, I've heard that crystal malts in a doppelbock is a no-no. At the very least, I would not include nearly as much as you have.

I am formulating my own doppelbock recipe and the malt bill is pretty much the same, except I have no crystal malt and I added a couple ounces of Carafa III for color. I'm going to develop the malty fullness by doing a three-step infusion and boiling the wort for 3-4 hours.

well, since your recipe is EXACTLY the same recipe as Jamil's from brewing classic styles (and The Jamil Show)....

i'm sure it'll be fine......

If you want it to taste American leave in the crystal malt but if you want it to taste more like a real German brew then remove it from the recipe and replace with additional base malt. For a darker color, if that's what you're after, try a few ounces of Carara II. A quarter to half pound of Melanoidin malt could be included for a little more background toastiness.

Latest posts

Back