Fermentation rate with high fructose corn syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kurtism

Reaction score
Quick question....a look through the forum didn't yield a solid answer so I decided to start a thread.

the fermentation rates for sucrose and fructose are slower than just plain glucose because of the conversion steps involved, but sucrose and fructose metabolism are quite different than HFCS due to its chemical complexity. HFCS 55, for example, though quite similar to sucrose is 55% fructose and 45% glucose. If you take 1kg of sucrose, for all intensive purposes, you get 500g of glucose and 500g of fructose which the body or in our case, yeast, process as necessary but HFCS is not simply metabolized the same way.

basically, how much "slower" if at all could fermentation be if I started with a concentrate that was sweetened with high fructose corn syrup instead of cane sugar/glucose. my next brew will be a hard lemonade of sorts and i can't find any starting juice/concentrate that doesn't have preservatives or high fructose corn syrup. Even the "Realemon" brand of lemon juice from concentrate has Na-metabasulfite and Na-benzoate in it already. http://www.dietfacts.com/html/nutri...e-from-concentrate-natural-strength-15481.htm

I had thought to start with this but I don't want the yeast to get stuck. Any ideas? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Frozen-Concentrate-Lemonade/13908198#Ingredients

Do some yeasts respond to HFCS better than others?

I've heard the HFCS argument but it's always been how the human body processes it, this is the first for yeast. Interesting. Not sure why yeast would see it as anything other than what it is, a simple sugar.

I've heard the HFCS argument but it's always been how the human body processes it, this is the first for yeast. Interesting. Not sure why yeast would see it as anything other than what it is, a simple sugar.

well the rate limiting step of fructose metabolism is the isomerization between fructose and glucose. Without knowing if HFCS in the concentrate is 55, 42 or something else, I wasn't sure if anyone had problems with fermentation starting because of that extra step. I know some strains of yeasts are far better with fructose than glucose but they are a very small percentage of yeast strains.

thanks for the advice.

Fermentation was a little slower to start and not as "ferocious" but did yield a decent alcohol after a few days and I found it was easier to control the fermentation process. I actually sampled some early while still actively fermenting. It was pleasantly mildly on the sweeter side and very effervescent. Quite pleasant after 2 days. I think adding extra sugar will kick in some extra alcohol while keeping some sweetness. Just experimentation of course. Definitely the HFCS slows things down but it eventually ferments out.

Trying to use Jewel brand (Signature) to ferment a punch flavor wine. Gravity is 1.045 (i had already added sugar before realizing the amount of high fructose level). Yeast is Red Start Premier Blanc. Having a hell of a time getting a ferment started. House temperature is 66-68F. The yeast should function down to 59F. Trying to warm the gallon jug in warm water to get the yeast going. When I tried making a starter, it bloomed great in the cup, but has almost stopped after adding to the jug. Any thoughts? Next stop will be a wine shop to to discuss yeasts that love HFCS.

Fermentation was a little slower to start and not as "ferocious" but did yield a decent alcohol after a few days and I found it was easier to control the fermentation process. I actually sampled some early while still actively fermenting. It was pleasantly mildly on the sweeter side and very effervescent. Quite pleasant after 2 days. I think adding extra sugar will kick in some extra alcohol while keeping some sweetness. Just experimentation of course. Definitely the HFCS slows things down but it eventually ferments out.
My second fermentations of kefir water with canned fruit "nectar" sweetened with HFCS, and a squeeze of fresh lemon wasn't very bubbly after 2 days out then refrigerated, but got much more carbonated when I forgot it out an extra day; and also continued to carbonate in the fridge the following days. It was very good. I went with a almost a 2:1 ratio of kefir water to HFCS sweetened 'juice' so it was on the sweet side and finally well carbonated. I will try leaving the next batch out 3 or 4 days before refrigeration.

Back