Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > forgot to re-lid

Old 10-25-2011, 07:46 PM   #11
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I wouldn't be worrying about infections. If it was mine I'd cold crash and then bottle or keg asap.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:15 AM   #12
LeroyWhite
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Is this a pellicle I see before me? I can't remember what the surface of the beer looked like when I opened it up, but this looks more like krausen to me. It's a beige-ish color and slimy, the same as what's sticking to the sides of the fermenter. I've got it cold-crashing right now and plan to bottle it tomorrow. Anyone think I'm nuts?

What's the worst that could happen? seriously, what could happen?

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	36829  

Reason: forgot photo... oops!

Old 01-31-2013, 08:23 PM   #13
samorg42
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 16

That uncovered lid sounds scary but I would bet on success more than failure. Watch for obvious mold, bad cloudiness or bad smell.

I did have a wild yeast get into a batch while I was dry hopping. I assumed that it was during the dry hop because I had two carboys from the same batch and only dry hopped one. The beer looked great but had a nasty plastic taste. I got into Papazian's book and he mentioned "phenolic" taste or something that tastes like bandaids. That is where the wild yeast theory came from. I can drink it if I am really craving a beer and have nothing else. I've kept a couple of bottles for fellow beer fans to taste and get familiar with what can go wrong.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:27 PM   #14
samorg42
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I just saw that photo. I want to hear what others say. Does it smell like beer or musty/moldy or rotten? It doesn't look right to me.....The worst that could happen? Never head of anyone getting really sick like with bad lettuce or cantalope.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:28 PM   #15
DPBISME
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 84

It should be fine... over preasure should keep a lot of stuff out and in the olden days they did not have all the same sanitation we do and they made good beer.

BUT..

If you open a bottle or pull some from the keg and you suspect it is going bad... DRINK IT FAST!