Need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outnumbered

Reaction score
so I am stuck at 1.26 it started at 1.58 so that makes my 8% beer like 4.5% so I think I screwed up some where. Is there any way to get my gravity to go down further. It is a kit Russian imperial stout so having it 4.5% is kinda a sin. Is there a way to increase the ABV? Why did it stop fermenting? I just to took a temp reading and it is 71.4F. Any help would be great.

A little more details...is this extract, all grain or partial mash. Recipe is always helpful. What kind of yeast did you pitch, dry or liquid? Did you make a yeast starter? How long has it been fermenting. Not enough information in the original post to even begin to help. I'm assuming you mean it started at 1.058 and seems to be stuck at 1.026? Either way, 1.058 is way low for a Russian Imperial Stout starting gravity.

You can attempt to repitch another good liquid yeast, like White Labs WLP007, but don't hold your breath. I repitched a 1.120 Triple Bock 4 times last year with no success. Ended up blending it with a dry english ale for a damn tasty beer.

Definitely a good thing to understand why the fermentation stalled but....
If my RIS stalled at 1.026 though, I'd be most interested in how to jump start that sucker and get it fermenting again.
Lots of ppl have lots of ideas in how to do this. For my money, the most sure fire way to get it done is to dunp it onto a fresh yeast cake leftover from another beer. Preferably a beer somewhat similar to your stalled batch.
If you don't have an inch or two of yeast sludge at your disposal, i'd recommend you get to brewing another batch and in a couple of weeks rack the RIS on the leftover yeast cake. my two cents :rockin:

Back