What to do with my funky Scottish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zendog

Reaction score
I am new to the "wild side" of brewing and need some opinions. I added Brett c to an under-attenuated Scottish ale (FG 1022 five months ago. The beer is at 1006 now and has a good level of tartness and "funk". It is just OK and seems to be missing fruit character. I could a) keg and see what it's like carbonated b) add fruit (cherries ?) or c) just let the thing age more. It's sitting in a glass carboy w/ airlock.

Interesting, a more "traditional" scottish direction might be . . . . . . heather tips? Or . . .. . . a dead cow's head?:D

Anyone had good luck using frozen fruit from grocery store? I'm thinking about tossing in about 10lb cherries, stuffed in a cow's head, of course.

I have done something similar to what you did. The only thing I did differently was I added some French Oak cubes. I am a big fan of malty beers with a oak complexity (think Firestone's DBA). And then you add a touch of funk and it really helps the beer. But everyone's taste is different.
http://jeffreycrane.blogspot.com/2011/03/dreg-series-mikkeller-its-alright.html

What type of fruit flavors are you thinking of? Like English esters (pear, stone fruits)? If so add something along those lines and then give the beer some good time so those flavors are more background additions.

Or if you want something sooner and completely different. Dry-hop with some big fruity hops. You might as well try a gal or 2 dry-hopped in a keg. I have done this also and I'm a big fan, but it depends how well the funk, sour and hops mix.

Let us know what you decide and how it ends up.

I'm almost inclined to let this ride out a bit longer. One thing I don't understand is how much more flavor the Brett c will provide over time. Don't most "tame" yeast strains give off most aromatics during fermentation? Since the gravity of this beer is at 1006, can I expect much more without additional feeding (ie. fruit or sugar)?? The flavor right now is just ok, but not as fruity as I expected. Maybe Brett c was too mellow of a choice?

Alright, I'm going to let it do it's thing for another 6 mos. Guess the only way to know. Since I took a sample, should I purge the head space with co2? Any O2 yields more acetic acid, I believe.

Don't most "tame" yeast strains give off most aromatics during fermentation?

You are correct that most esters and other flavor chemicals are produced during fermentation. In my experience this is much more the case for Sacc strains and not Brett strains. Beers with Brett will change considerably over time with no change in gravity.

Since the gravity of this beer is at 1006, can I expect much more without additional feeding (ie. fruit or sugar)??

Yes, the flavor will change significantly and more than likely toward the funky side and not fruit side. There is a cycle to how the flavors work. The beer will continuously go through a esterification cycle. I am not totally sure about the science behind it but know it works through experience. You may like the taste in 3 months but not 6 months and then like it again in 9 months. This is the reason that you see patience preached so much on this forum.

The flavor right now is just ok, but not as fruity as I expected. Maybe Brett c was too mellow of a choice?

Well, if fruity is something you wanted maybe a Sacc + Brett yeast blend would work better.
And if you want a Brett strain that will give you more "fruit". The Drie (Avery 15) Brett strains gives off some great tropical fruit flavors.
http://jeffreycrane.blogspot.com/2011/01/dreg-series-avery-15-or-drie-brett.html

I'm not sure you best way to get this strain but, one option is to ask Chad at Crooked Stave. And his beers are bottle conditioned so you maybe able to get some fruity Brett strains that way. His pure guava petite sour gets the guava flavor from the Brett strains he uses.
http://www.crookedstave.com/

Since I took a sample, should I purge the head space with co2?

It really depends on the amount of head space you have. I have not had a problem with acetic acid and I never purge the headspace. But I only taste every 3 months and I use 5 gals in 5 gal Better Bottle.

Will brett C create a pellicle in the presence of O2? If so, that will protect it from the oxygen correct?

Will brett C create a pellicle in the presence of O2? If so, that will protect it from the oxygen correct?

Yes, it should form some sort of pellicle if there is O2 present, but it could just appear as a 'skin' or hazy surface for months. I brewed on Old Ale that was missing a bit of body, so I added 2 packs of wyeast brett C and it took about 8 months before I noticed anything 'pellicle-like' (pic below).

Zendog, i'd let it ride for another few months, and maybe try to find some Scottish tayberries.....

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/pellicle-photo-collection-174033/index27.html#post3327704

pellicle.JPG

Back