PANIC!!!!! Not even halfway through the keg of beer and I am out CO2!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigpapa7272

Reaction score
Went down to the basement to pour a glass of Homebrew and its not pushing through the line. Regulator said was at zero on both the lp and hp gauges. This is only my first batch and I had it on serving pressure of 10 psi. I figured a 7lb tank would at least get 5 to 6 kegs not half of 1

I find it hard to be a regulator issue since i bought a taprite. however when i bought it was manufacted in november last year

Regulator issue? maybe my the LHBS store didnt fill to 7lb?

Need help!

A leak is the most likely culprit.

Once you verify that the tank is empty, go get the tank refilled and check your whole system with soapy water for leaks. Tighten down as necessary.

Even a super slow leak will drain your tank pretty quickly. Another approach is to shut off your tank when not in use. It may be a pain, but it saves on the CO2 if you are unsure about the integrity of your system.

You have a leak. Find it, fix it, refill tank

-=Jason=-

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Home Brew Talk

Use either soapy water or star san. Apply to joints in the system. Watch for bubbles to form when the gas is on. Tighten down the clamps at those locations where you see bubbles.

Another approach is to shut off your tank when not in use. It may be a pain, but it saves on the CO2 if you are unsure about the integrity of your system.

Wouldn't this cause the beer to go flat, or prevent it from carbing in the first place?

Wouldn't this cause the beer to go flat, or prevent it from carbing in the first place?

Yes and no. Until you run out of CO2, the system can maintain pressure and overwhelm the leak. Once you run out, the beer slowly goes flat.

Don't forget to soap the regulator and gauges. One of my regulators has a leak inside the low pressure gauge. I've tried replacing it, but the threads are galled and it won't budge. Have to turn the gas on and off when tapped a pint.

Back