mold in my 3 piece air lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ernie00

Reaction score
So today I pulled out my Ipa from secondary and noticed some mold inside the airlock. This is my 12th batch and first time this has happened. Should I worry? Beer smelled fine when I bottled.

thanks for the input.

what good would worrying do? just procede as normal, if the beer is good then great. if its all moldy and nasty then... ****.

hope it all comes out right!

dunno. what did you use for liquid? i usually just use water and i've never had it happen. since it was in you're airlock and not on you're beer i wouldn't worry at all. i've heard stories of people racking beer from under mold and comeing up with good beer still. be sure to repost how this turns out. i'm sure it will end up being good, then when someone has this problem in the future they can rest easy. :mug:

yup I have been using sanitizer in the air lock since day 1. I think too it will turn out fine. thanks for the input

i think you should be ok...if it'll make you feel any better the airlock has positive pressure so it blew all of the nasties away 100% guaranteed (void where prohibited)

is diluted idophor ok for airlock or does it not work after a few weeks?

since Idophor release free iodine into solution you need to look at the half life of iodine - which is about 8 days. So every 8 days your solution is weakened by 50%. With that long of a contact time it will probably stain everything as well.

edit:
Just looked at other Iodine isotopes and I-125 has a half life of only 13hrs, so your solution could be loosing power much quicker.
Either way though to answer your question - replace your solution every few days to be safe

Hmm,maybe that is why im getting a white cloudy paint like skin on them after over 3-4 weeks? I dindnt know you were not suppose to use it in the airlock.
I havnt had a problem with one step in the past,now im starting to rethink my sources of infection i may have had. This is dumb-cant use idophor in the airlock,just dumb. I dont see what sense it would make to pull off my airlock and replace the soultion every time.Gayness.
Hmm maybe i could just add a drop in the airlock every week,then?

as long as it's on the air side your air lock has done it's job. I've had some wort bubble up into air lock and starsan got funky. beer was fine. gave the airlock a good long strong bleach solution soak and used the airlock again, no problems!

A little update on this situation, beer has been bottled and tonight I drank one. I am happy to say that I am not blind. The beer is actually amazing. Very happy with the results.

Im starting to re- think this white filmy layer im getting because of the idophor in the airlock, i had them in my basement, so im thinking.

Back